Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Views on the good lady?

PS: The thread title refers to the Crank on the Steorn forum, and not the character played by Jason Statham
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009

annoying but... *shrug*
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited

I think Crank is OK.

She knows what pisses her off, and if you have pissed her off, then she stick to her guns, which is fair enough I suppose.

It was the recent mass bannings that killed the forum, and it was not Crank who carried out these bannings.

She has often explained that Steorn do not care about the forum, and it is not her fault, that Steorn have not defined clear rules for conduct on the forum. In the absence of rules (or Steorn caring), she doesn't have to defend her actions to anyone. But she generally doesn't interfere too much with the forum, and certainly hasn't abused her role as admin in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Posted By: DuracellI think Crank is OK.

She knows what pisses her off, and if you have pissed her off, then she stick to her guns, which is fair enough I suppose.

It was the recent mass bannings that killed the forum, and it was not Crank who carried out these bannings.

She has often explained that Steorn do not care about the forum, and It is not her fault, that Steorn have not defined clear rules for conduct on the forum. In the absence of rules (or Steorn caring), she doesn't have to defend her actions to anyone. But she generally doesn't interfere too much with the forum, and certainly hasn't abused her role as admin in my opinion.
    I agree.
    Posted By: Grimer

She has often explained that Steorn do not care about the forum, and It is not her fault, that Steorn have not defined clear rules for conduct on the forum. In the absence of rules (or Steorn caring), she doesn't have to defend her actions to anyone. But she generally doesn't interfere too much with the forum, and certainly hasn't abused her role as admin in my opinion.
    I agree.
    2nd ed:)
    • CommentAuthornova
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited

She has often explained that Steorn do not care about the forum, and it is not her fault, that Steorn have not defined clear rules for conduct on the forum. In the absence of rules (or Steorn caring), she doesn't have to defend her actions to anyone. But she generally doesn't interfere too much with the forum, and certainly hasn't abused her role as admin in my opinion.

Crank is not ok. She knows what pisses her off but there is no reason that is predictable and this makes her unpredictable. No one needs to defend their behavior except to Crank. She abuses her role as moderator by not allowing that which is contrary to her beliefs. Her recent return to the forum accounts for the mass bannings.

I would like to add that her behavior is that of a typical women who lacks critical thinking skill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer

Nova's established he must be a man.
    • CommentAuthorbc

Crank is somewhat power crazed and exercises powers seemingly arbitrarily, but invariably biased in favour of her prejudices. In that sense, she is little different to other moderators who take an active role in forums.
    • CommentAuthorchipotle

People should mind their own business about Crank and politicians should just keep out of it. These bans on OTC decongestants are insane.
    I think she's a crabby old dried up artiste wannabe, who somehow got interested in Steorn, most likely because of some "back channel" connection and physical proximity. There's more to Crank than meets the eye -- thank goodness for that, anyway.
    As to her intellectual qualifications and critical thinking skills, the recent computer follies/BBCode farce is indicative of the general state of affairs chez Crank.
    IMHO, of course.

As to OTC decongestants, I prefer Coke over Pepsi, especially with a cheeseburger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

Personally, I think it was the *other* mod, who had the 'back channel' connection.

What ever happened to her, anyway?

As for Crank, shrug, we've always gotten along fine.
    We haven't heard from Mags in a long time. Perhaps she realized that almost anything was better than wasting time on the Steorn forum. She's Canadian, IIRC, and I know nothing of her connections or lack of them. It's just that it's a bit of a longer swim for Mags, but in these wonderful days of the Internet, I suppose most anything is possible.
    Except Orbo, of course.

Magnatrix and I always got along well.
    As for Crank, I've always thought she was a bit of an old biddy, and way out of her natural element.

Which is slow-setting concrete, IIRC.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

The way the Steorn forum is advertised contrasted to the way it is in fact administered is typical of Steornism. It's a complete disconnect between their "free and open" claim and the "slash, ban and burn" actual policy. Maybe the forum's bearing overheated under the lights.

I think Steorn may be moderately interested in what goes on in the forum or Sean would never have taken valuable time away from searching for the holy grail of physics (and drinking his liver into submission) to look in on it.

Crank's expressed thought patterns, like Boogies, seem highly quirky which goes with her artistic temperment. That'd be fine for an art forum but like everything else Steorn has done, that type of moderation makes no sense for their forum.

What would make sense would be to let people write what they want to other than obvious libel of the sort "Blank is a child molester" (unless you can cite a news article or other reliable source that proves Blank really is one). And they should regularly refute false claims made by others. For example, "Of course we know Orbo is real because one spun for two hundred hours immediately after Kinetica and it has been spinning merrily in my office since." Oh it hasn't? Well...
    Posted By: maryyugoCrank's expressed thought patterns, like Boogies, seem highly quirky which goes with her artistic temperment. That'd be fine for an art forum but like everything else Steorn has done, that type of moderation makes no sense for their forum.

I think you're just pissed at crank because she always got the upper hand on you in a debate. But then again I'm just a man.
    BTW: It's "temperament" - something the fairer sex suffers from once a month.
    • CommentAuthornova

Posted By: SearchingHighAndLow
    Posted By: maryyugoCrank's expressed thought patterns, like Boogies, seem highly quirky which goes with her artistic temperment. That'd be fine for an art forum but like everything else Steorn has done, that type of moderation makes no sense for their forum.

I think you're just pissed at crank because she always got the upper hand on you in a debate. But then again I'm just a man.
    BTW: It's "temperament" - something the fairer sex suffers from once a month.
    Crank never got the upper hand in any debate. Crank just had the option to have the last say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: SearchingHighAndLowIt's "temperament" - something the fairer sex suffers from once a month.

Oww! Ducks and covers trying to become invisible.
    Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: SearchingHighAndLowIt's "temperament" - something the fairer sex suffers from once a month.

Oww! Ducks and covers trying to become invisible.

It's no good, they still get you!
    • CommentAuthormensor
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009

Whats up with Crank? I ask a simple question to 007 and she accuses me of being a wife-beater!
    I never beat my wife. I beat my meat from time to time though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009 edited

Posted By: mensorWhats up with Crank? I ask a simple question to 007 and she accuses me of being a wife-beater!

I believe she is trying to illustrate the concept of a loaded question, in order to insinuate that your question to 007 is equally loaded.

Of course she is wrong ... but I just thought I would try to clear up any misunderstanding about what she is probably trying to say to you.