Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2017

We have an American Robin (Turdus migratorius) here that is behaving in the most bizarre fashion. I wonder if any 'trappers know anything about it.

A week or so ago it showed up and started attacking the house. It finds a place to perch and pecks at the windows continuously. It shits copiously all over the place while doing so. At intervals it flies frantically around and then selects another window to attack.

I have seen birds attack mirrors because they perceive themselves as a mating rival, but I've never seen anything like this, and I've never seen a robin do anything but attack worms.
    It just discovered its Latin name?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Window reflection perhaps just see a flash of red, painting another species of bird with a red breast will provoke an attack in the mating season, I don't know if some mean Canadian scientist has tried painting a female robin breast red but as dope smokers they do tend to try anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanIt just discovered its Latin name?

Turdus is L. for thrush, you nasty person.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Of course other species have been known to paint female red and blue.

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

The bird hates your freedom. Better kill it before it's too late.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Damn thing just did it again. All over my lawn furniture.

Where is the neighbour's marmalade tom when it could actually be useful?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2017 edited

Go shit in its nest. That'll teach it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: AngusWhere is the neighbour's marmalade tom when it could actually be useful?
    Laughing at you, of course ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: DuracellGo shit in its nest. That'll teach it...

I've been looking for that damn cat's nest for months.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Birds are not that smart. Just pretend you shit in its nest.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Is it exhibiting signs of preternatural intelligence? Perhaps it was not always a bird....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

When your neighbours send their cat, they're not sending the best. They're sending a pet that has lots of problems and it's bringing those problems. It's bringing bugs, it's bringing grime. Cats are rapists and some, I assume, are good pets, but I speak to veterinarians and they're telling us what we're getting.

You have pets come in and I'm not just saying your neighbours' cat, I'm talking about pets that are from all over, that are killers and rapists and they're coming to your house.

I would build a great wall -- and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me --and I would build them very inexpensively. I would build a great, great wall on your neighbours' border, and I would make your neighbours pay for that wall. Mark my words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

First sensible post you made here.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2017

Posted By: AngusWe have an American Robin(Turdus migratorius)here that is behaving in the most bizarre fashion.

One bird. That's how it begins . . .
    https://youtu.be/hplpQt424Ls?t=41s
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

The male house sparrows (Passer domesticus) go nuts in the spring and will bash themselves unconscious on a shiny window pane. I avoid washing the windows until May at the earliest because of this.

The pileated woodpeckers (Dryocopus pileatus) think that springtime is the perfect time to (a) sit outside your bedroom window at dawn and let loose their maniacal yell and (b) find that your roof is the perfect thing into which to peck holes.

The wild turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo) begin gathering in flocks right about now, with males displaying to no one in particular and all them making a mess of driveways and gardens. One wonders how a bird without any seeming intelligence can be so successful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2017 edited

Haven't had any problem with the sparrows so far.

For the stupid bird sweepstakes I'll offer the California quail. ( Callipepla californica ). It not only +is+ stupid, it +looks+ stupid.
    "Don't call me "baby"!"
    "Don't touch my arse!"

...the echoes of bird behaviour faded...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

That seems to say more about Palfreyman behaviour than bird behaviour.
    Mondegreen?