Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012

Posted By: alsetalokin
    Posted By: TrimThe Engineer

They must mean beads behave like a liquid. Still a soon.

Nanobeads could store liquid hydrogen to fuel cars

Mean bees behave like squid, on the moon? .... oh, maybe I need new glasses after all.
    Don`t want to about your "Moo-Bees" thanks...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012 edited

Posted By: TrimSD

Scientists Produce Hydrogen for Fuel Cells Using an Inexpensive Catalyst Under Real-World Conditions

Water is more stable than hydrogen and oxygen which combust or explode. I don't understand how a catalyst will help split water absent input of substantial energy. Catalysts accelerate chemical reactions but they DO NOT CHANGE OR INFLUENCE THE DIRECTION of those reactions. Water does not spontaneously split into it's constituent gases so how does this supposed new catalyst work, in chemistry terms? It's lousy reporting. Something major is missing.

Edit to add: This is out of my field but there seems to be some papers about release of hydrogen from water using energy from light. Is this enough to be viable for running engines from ambient light (or heat). I doubt it very very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012

If you can do solar electrolysis with reasonable efficiency I think your fortune is well made. That would provide both energy generation and energy storage in one environmentally driven process.
    • CommentAuthorenginerd
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2012

Catalysts lower the activation energy of a reaction, usually making it simpler and cheaper to commercially sustain that reaction.

The theoretical net amount of energy needed to complete a reaction is not changed by catalysis.

Turning solar energy into useful energy is limited by inefficiencies, cost of equipment, maintenance of the equipment, and energy storage. Refinements that reduce the footprint of collection, or the cost and reliability of the collectors increase the potential for using solar energy. A good solution for the storage bugaboo would make a huge difference in many types of energy generation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2012

MY might like this fuel cell
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013

NW

Champion nano-rust for producing solar hydrogen.

http://www.nanowerk.com/news2/newsid=31202.php
    Now you know what happened to all the machine civilizations. The slimy molluscs invented nanological warfare and rusted their enemies into inoperability. (Machines don't really die, they just rust away.)
    you and your bloody molluscs
    Slimy.

Slimy molluscs, please. Never bloody. It's the polyps that are bloody.
    • CommentAuthorLakes

Can you all stop bloody swearing please? ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Posted By: LakesCan you all stop bloody sweating please? ;)

No Al is hot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2013

Po

Five times less platinum: Fuel cells could become economically more attractive thanks to novel aerogel catalyst

http://phys.org/news/2013-08-platinum-fuel-cells-economically-aerogel.html
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: Trim
    Five times less platinum: Fuel cells could become economically more attractive thanks to novel aerogel catalyst

I hate that phrasing: "five times less". Why not the ueber-klar "one fifth" or "20 percent"?
    Because anyone who would use a phrase like "five times less" understands neither ratio/proportion or percentages.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

"Five times less"= - 400%.

Seems clear enough to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013

NW

Non-precious metal catalysts outperforming platinum-based ones.

http://www.nanowerk.com/news2/newsid=32417.php
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2013

• CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2013 edited

Fill your tank with jello! :)

Note: doing this may make your car go a bit wobbly.... ;)