Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlegendre
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009

The Ubuntu foundation has just (well, late last evening) announced the latest release - Ubuntu 9.10 'Karmic'. Derivative versions Xubuntu and Kubuntu were released simultaneously.

As luck (who am I kidding, an invisible pink unicorn did it) would have it, a friend had just given me a broken laptop - a nifty Dell Inspiron 8600 machine. Repairs were made (new hard disk) and the latest Ubuntu installed.

All I can say, is that it worked like a frigging charm! (figuratively; that's to say, it worked extremely well, totally unlike traditional charms such as St. Christopher medals, which don't do shit). Built-in wireless was running on first boot, video and audio hardware correctly detected and enabled, other network and data interfaces (like USB, Firewire) fully functional.

The machine is very responsive, appears to run without effort. Servers are very busy at the moment, so I'll hold off on installing OpenOffice and a few other apps until things simmer down a bit.

Now go and get yourself some free Linux love. Please use bittorrent! The 650MB ISO file downloaded in around 22-25 minutes - the swarm is large, and very fast at the moment.
    Kool !!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009 edited

Torrent is here.

Should have put this in the original post.