Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2010

Posted By: alsetalokinI don't like Clooney, but I just watched a movie by the Cohen Bros with Clooney, Frances McDormand and Brad Pitt, called "Burn After Reading", that was hilarious and of course extremely well done, being from the Cohen Bros.
    Clooney did a fine job, McDormand was fantastic, and Pitt was silly but believable.
    Two thumbs up.
    "Oh, Brother Where Art Thou" is another Cohen Bros movie where Clooney does a good comedy job. I thought he played good serious roles in "Michael Clayton" and "Solaris".
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: alsetalokinI don't like Clooney, but I just watched a movie by the Cohen Bros with Clooney, Frances McDormand and Brad Pitt, called "Burn After Reading", that was hilarious and of course extremely well done, being from the Cohen Bros.
    Clooney did a fine job, McDormand was fantastic, and Pitt was silly but believable.
    Two thumbs up.

Wow, I thought that was easily the worst movie the Cohen brothers have ever made (though I never saw their remake of the Lady Killers). It's still watchable though, and the last 20 minutes are pretty funny.

On the other hand Clooney is excellent in Oh Brother Where Art Thou? Which is a fantastic film, one of my favourites.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

How can you not like JK Simmons in "Burn After Reading"? I thought he was great also in "Thank You for Smoking".
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Yeah, he was good. I just thought the film didn't have enough gags in the first hour of the flim, it was all set ups. The punchlines all come in the the last 20 mins...then it just finishes. 3 out of 5 for me, which makes it bad by Cohen brothers standards.

To be honest, it's probably one of those films I'd really enjoy if I caught it at home on the TV - it just seemed a little flimsy at the cinima.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Tastes vary. I enjoyed it. Another actor who is good is William H. Macy. He was good in "Fargo" and "The Cooler". He was also good a few years back in a relatively unknown movie called "Focus".
    • CommentAuthorBarguast

Two thumbs up.

Agreed. I need to give that film another viewing I think. I enjoy Brad Pitt's characters in pretty much everything he's done.
    Oh, yeah, Macy. He was great in those films, especially "The Cooler".

It's nice to see professional actors who know their craft and who can actually act, rather than just "be themselves" in whatever role they might find themselves. I put Tom Cruiser in the latter category, and Brad Pitt and Johhny Depp in the former. Pitt was great in "Fight Club"; a Tom Cruise could never have pulled that one off. And Depp has been great ever since "Scissorhands".
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010

I don't think Depp and Pitt can ever have anything like the versatility of someone like Macy - they are simply far too good looking - "real" people don't look like them.
    I think Leonardo DiCaprio is a good actor and not just a star. And speaking of Johnny Depp, DiCaprio and he were both excellent in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010

Posted By: alsetalokinOh, yeah, Macy. He was great in those films, especially "The Cooler".

It's nice to see professional actors who know their craft and who can actually act, rather than just "be themselves" in whatever role they might find themselves. I put Tom Cruiser in the latter category, and Brad Pitt and Johhny Depp in the former. Pitt was great in "Fight Club"; a Tom Cruise could never have pulled that one off. And Depp has been great ever since "Scissorhands".
    If you like Brad Pitt for different types of character roles, go rent "Snatch"