Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Well, you probably know as much as I do about it, then. The experiments are beyond my solo technical reach, and the lab I work for has been there, done that (before my time, unfortunately) and for them the case is closed.
    • CommentAuthorsonoboy
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009 edited

I actually have something constructed of aluminum (which he proposed using in his 'heat pump' patent.) as it has 5/2 nuclear spin. It's very simple construction as I didn't need a generator wheel whose axial orientation could be changed. This also eliminated 2 additional air gaps. It's simply two aluminum blocks serving as upper and lower mass members aprox 5" high by aprox 4" wide and aprox 12" long with adjustable carbide pins that go in between the two as spacers. The upper mass member has 4 diamond points (almost no spin isotopes) that sit on the carbide pins on the lower mass member. The aluminum generator wheel that's sandwiched between the upper and lower mass members, down close to one end, is about 1" thick by about 3" diameter with turbine cutouts in the side. Both bearings are mounted on one side of the wheel in a single long metal collar which slides into a vertical hole in the bottom mass member and held in place with a simple set screw, which allows the air gap between the wheel face and lower mass member to be set to within a few ten thousandths. The detector, at this point, is a simple aluminum bar on a knife edge mounting set at the end faces of the mass members. The mass members and the bar have slots machined in them so that only 1/4 inch rotation of the bar will cause minimum to maximum field engagement. This was done as a torque multiplier knowing that any field would of extremely low strength. A laser was used to bounce off the detector bar to a wall chart.
    Fired it up for about 15 min but had vibration issues as well as noise issues. I also eroded a plastic nozzle assembly (apparently by shock waves). This thing was so loud you couldn't stand to be near it with earmuffs AND earplugs. I was also concerned about no blow shield. That was about 4 years ago and I haven't been back to it since as other things have gotten in the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009

Vibration issues, so it won;t be any good doing it in a vacuum then? Pity.
    • CommentAuthorsonoboy

No need for a vacuum chamber with that device.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

I half hoped it would reduce the noise problem.
    • CommentAuthorsonoboy

It's a compressed air driven turbine wheel. May as well be a siren.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Well you could always try it out in orbit.