Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2019

Yes but then you need the switching circuit, which is not much different from an inverter, Shirley?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2019

If I read the article correctly, the excitation is at a much lower power than that d4elivered by the battery.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2019

I'm confuse. You have basically two DC sources back to back in those seriesised batteries with the biode in the middle. If you need to have AC out of them you'd presumably use the common terminal as one line out, and switch the + or - battery onto the other line alternately. Or some such. But that requires you to switch the entire current drawn. So it seems to me it is just a sort of inverter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorping1400

The pulsed charging and discharging load patterns will not be healthy for the battery chemistry. DC has higher duty cycle. The battery has become a component in the inverter. Is this an April fools article?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

a little more here

After scratching my head a bit, this thing appears to change the role of two electrodes from anode to cathode and the AC is gained by switching the other electrodes.

Or something like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2019

Go With the Flow: Scientists Design Better Batteries for a Renewable Energy Grid.

https://revolution-green.com/go-flow-scientists-design-better-batteries-renewable-energy-grid/
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Interestingly simple.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2019

Zinc-manganese battery funded for market: 30X cheaper per kWh than Li-ion; high density, non-toxic.

https://revolution-green.com/zinc-manganese-battery-funded-market-30x-cheaper-per-kwh-li-ion-high-density-non-toxic/
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2019

Posted By: *Shrug--more detail-less PR. Okay, here's the poop on this story:

First of all, they're talking about zinc-manganese oxide cells; those things that we've grown to love as "alkaline batteries". The problem has historically been that the technology is useful only in primary cells; Zn-MnO₂ cells are not easily recharged and rapidly lose capacity.

The reason for this has not been well-understood until about 3 years ago, when some scientists from PNNL discovered what happens when an alkaline cell is recharged. Said scientists have figured workarounds, but due to the lower power density of Zn-MnO₂ cells in comparison with lithium-ion rechargeables, it's pretty much been a nonstarter.

So the gist of the subject article is that the University of Adelaide folks think that they can make a commercially-competitive product. Let's hope that they succeed--AU $1M isn't all that much in the R&D world.

(I wondered where I'd seen the image that headlines this article--it was cribbed from the 2016 PNNL article that I cited.)
    When one gesticulates wildly about the amazing nature of a "new" battery type, don't forget that it takes more than one number to characterise it.

"Two volts, Jimmy? Well, isn't that special?! Now run along and go play with traffic"
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2019

Scientists have developed superfast charging high-capacity potassium batteries based on organic polymers.

https://revolution-green.com/scientists-developed-superfast-charging-high-capacity-potassium-batteries-based-organic-polymers/
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2019

Real and double works!
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2019

So load a bunch of these into an Airbus A380 and you won't need any hydrocarbons to get where you're going?

Until this can displace commercial (jet) aviation, it's just a curiosity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2019

Robust electrodes could pave the way to lighter electric vehicles.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/texas-robust-electrodes-lighter-electric-vehicles/
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2019

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2019

Why doesn't worsening those batteries tenfold get me any headlines? I already did it twice and if we could reverse that process...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2019

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTime6 days ago

MAGNESIUM-ION BATTERIES SELF-HEAL USING GALLIUM; MAY EVENTUALLY BE ABLE TO CYCLE AT LEAST FIFTEEN YEARS.

https://revolution-green.com/magnesium-ion-batteries-self-heal-using-gallium-may-eventually-able-cycle-forever/