Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009

Source Physorg

Air Car, I like the joggers going past it.

Car That Runs on Compressed Air Questioned by Critics

And to think a few years ago I was thinking of buying one when they came to market.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre

Wtf, those dumbshits, they put the 'single' wheel in front.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: legendreWtf, those dumbshits, they put the 'single' wheel in front.

We Europeans like to live a little don't-cha-know. We even make cars that can go round corners!
    Some automotive engineers think that compressed air is simply not a practical power source for vehicles due to the laws of thermodynamics.

Not those pesky laws of thermodynamics again? When will those naysayers and nasty debunkers just stop going on about them?

Uh-oh-seven had it right in his latest blog post:

Scientific and media debunkers commentators have continued to pour scorn on the idea with their relentless repetition of "the laws of physics say blah blah blah." mantra of which intelligent and free thinking members of the public are now becoming tired of.

Blah blah blah indeed. Throw off the shackles of the laws of physics! Become a physics anarchist!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009 edited

Posted By: firstmanonthesun

Scientific and media debunkers commentators have continued to pour scorn on the idea with their relentless repetition of "the laws of physics say blah blah blah." mantra of which intelligent and free thinking members of the public are now becoming tired of.

People should write to their MP and demand that the laws of physics are repealed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009

Posted By: pcstru
    Posted By: firstmanonthesun

People should write to their MP and demand that the laws of physics are repealed.

I agree!

I am also tired of other people's negative opinions preventing me from being able to create energy from nothing (Mind you, you would think that having actual Godlike powers would mean that I don't really care about what other people think or endlessly repeat!)!

And after that let's focus on some other so-called laws such the law of diminishing returns or even Murphy's Law!

Reminds me of seeing a greenpeace type angrily ranting about how the Drax power station was 'only' about 40% efficient and how they waste over half the energy. 'tards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: hairykrishna

Reminds me of seeing a greenpeace type angrily ranting about how the Drax power station was 'only' about 40% efficient and how they waste over half the energy. 'tards.

Given the current UK governments attitude to scientific advice, they would probably table just such a bill if they thought it would be popular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009 edited

In 1897 a bill to rationalise both pi and the square root of two passed third reading in the State Legislature of Indiana. Apparently somebody got to the legislators in time to prevent its final enactment.

It stated:

It has been found that a circular area is to the square on a line equal to the quadrant of the circumference, as the area of an equilateral rectangle is to the square on one side:
    (In more modern notation)
    pi' : ((pi'/2))^2 = sqrt(3)/4 : 1 i.e. pi' = 16/sqrt(3) = 9.24.

The diameter employed as the linear unit according to the present rule in computing the circle's area is entirely wrong, as it represents the circles area one and one-fifths times the area of a square whose perimeter is equal to the circumference of the circle. This is because one-fifth of the diameter fails to be represented four times in the circle's circumference:
    ((2 pi'/4))^26/5 = pi i.e. pi' = 2 sqrt(5 pi/6) = 3.236

Furthermore, it has revealed the ratio of the chord and arc of ninety degrees, which is as seven to eight,
    sqrt(2) :
    pi/2 = 7 : 8 i.e. pi = 16 sqrt(2)/7 = 3.232

and also the ratio of the diagonal and one side of a square which is as ten to seven:
    sqrt(2) = 10/7 = 1.429

that the ratio of the diameter and circumference is as five-fourths to four:
    pi = 16/5 = 3.2

During debate it was clarified that "The case is perfectly simple. If we pass this bill which establishes a new and correct value for pi , the author offers to our state without cost the use of his discovery and its free publication in our school text books, while everyone else must pay him a royalty."
    That legislature story is very funny, but I am very skeptical about it having actually happened.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode were Lisa builds a perpetual motion machine. Homer tells her off with the line:

"Young lady, in this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: evolvealreadyThat legislature story is very funny, but I am very skeptical about it having actually happened.

FWIW