Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2017 edited

Oh gawds. Yet a new horror. I hope there will be a software solution and it can't come too soon.

http://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/info-2017/unwanted-voicemails-robocalls-fd.html?

Can you imagine trying to get your voice mail and having to screen through a hundred telemarketing voice mails first? How does one even do that? Sometimes my frustration with people trying to invade my space and waste my time to sell me shit (invariably shit I would never buy from them no matter what it was or what it did) rises to the level that I would consider violence. Well, not really but just about everything else.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Petition to be exempt withdrawn

I think one commenter summed it up quite nicely: "If you want to guarantee that I will never do business with you, leave an RVM."
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

That consideration never influenced telemarketers before. They are mostly not legitimate business to start with but instead are things like Ponzi schemes, phishing scams, identity theft, subscription scams, vacation ripoffs and the like. Nothing but a marginal business you wouldn't do business with anyway would be likely to use telemarketing. One exception: a huge fine for AT&T for telemarketing without attention to the do not call list but that's rare.

The problem is that the possibility can be granted before a blocking system is in place. The only solution is to shut off voice mail and leave an outgoing message directing your callers to email or text. So if they allow this, which the Trump admin is likely to, being that they are dumb and greedy, then voice mail will become useless in one fell swoop.

It's nice that the swine won't be exempt from the rules but they don't follow the rules. What is needed is an absolute requirement for the phone companies to provide a means of shutting off/blocking ringless voice mail. With the existence of SMS and email, this feature is of questionable value anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

My mobile phone (or cell if you're a USAn) for work is unusable without functional voicemail. It rings pretty much nonstop throughout the working day. I couldn't possibly take every single call, so many have to go to voicemail until I get a chance later to review the calls that I missed. Without functional voicemail I would have to hire multiple personal assistants, and divert unanswered calls to them, just to ensure that I didn't miss an important call.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2017 edited

Well, if the proposal is resurrected, you will be in deep doodoo unless there is an ironclad optout. For me, diversion to SMS or email would be adequate though not desirable.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2017

When checking your voicemail, does your carrier impose a tariff?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

I pay a flat monthly fee. It covers unlimited calls and data.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Yes, and that's probably true of many plans. However, there are still a lot of people who pay for "minutes" of airtime. In the USA, these are used also when receiving calls.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Yes, I always find that particular USAn custom incomprehensible whenever anyone mentions it.
    Greed (carrier) plus stupidity (customer)
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2017

Well, fuck me for acting stupidly. My new phone's software lets me respond by text to inbound phone calls and then sends them to voice mail... like sorry, on the toilet, call back later (or some such). I can recognize some telemarketers because they choose to spoof the area code and first three digits of my phone number. I suppose they think it will appear to be a local exchange and I will answer. But nowadays, there are no local exchanges for cell phones and it's just a nice convenient tell that it's a telemarketer. So on a whim, a few times, I texted "fuck off" back to the telemarketer.

Last time, I got back a puzzled text "do you know who you texted?" Still dimwitted, I wrote back, "Yeah a stupid fucking telemarketer, get a real job." The reply was "Hey moron, I never called you." which finally lit up a little bulb over my right temple. I was responding to a SPOOFED number which was a real number and had just insulted the real owner of the number who had nothing to do with the telemarketer.

I rapidly texted a profuse apology and explanation and the party on the other end said "no worries, I hate those assholes too."

But damn it, I lost another satisfaction dealing with telemarketers.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2017 edited

OK so I can't be sure I didn't post this before but I don't think so. Some progress is being made against large companies that do not observe the US Federal do not call lists. Here are two settlements. Interestingly, my phone number is on the list at one of those links so I applied for the maximum $900 portion. Will advise if I actually get anything. If you want to check your number:

http://www.syracuse.com/business-news/index.ssf/2017/08/cruise_calls_class_action_settlement.html

(look for the link to the attorney web site and then enter your phone number for a search)

and

https://www.freecruisecallclassaction.net/Home.aspx
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2017

It could be a honeypot.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2017

•  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2017

The links I provided are to two SEPARATE cruise line settlements however one is already closed to applications.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2017

Ever want to get even with a telemarketer, find out exactly what the scam is, waste their time, and keep a recording of it, all without any risk to yourself?

https://www.spoofcard.com/features

Thing is, this app comes through the Apple app store. Does that mean it is (very probably) safe and the company is legit?
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2019