Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2017

Logitech to brick Harmony Link products.

Looks like a proper way to do customer relations in 2017.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

A deal is not a deal if it's become inconvenient. The USA views NAFTA similarly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

It will be interesting to see if they change their tune for EU customers. EU consumer rights give rather longer warranty than the 6 months Logitech is trying to shaft their customers with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Apparently their forum treats the phrase "class action" as swearing so censors it. How utterly capit^H^H^H^H bizzare?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2018

• CommentAuthortinker

•  
      CommentAuthorSwissie

Tech that isn’t so great:
    There may be someone deep down in a bunker in Hawaii, not knowing it was a false alarm.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2018 edited

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanOh The Horror
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/26/on_call/

Actually, that's not so silly. I maintain that a mouse-oriented GUI is the least intuitive of interfaces.

I recall bringing home a TI Silent 700 terminal (this was before personal computers) and showing it to a young visitor to my home. He promptly asked if he could ask the computer on the other end of the phone line something. I agreed, and he typed in "WHAT IS YOUR NAME". Of course, the response was something like "ILLEGAL COMMAND". But it showed that he had a grasp of the interface.

Fast-forward 45 or so years to today.

On my monitor, I have a web page displayed. As I move my mouse pointer over bits of text and images, I note that some appear to be active links that don't do anything when selected. Others are active links that cannot be opened in a separate tab because they're really some bit of Javascript. Yet other links have inconsistent behavior--an icon next to descriptive text isn't a link, but the text is--or vice-versa. And few icons carry an "alt=" tag that migth give a clue to their identity. And don't get me started on the issue of CSS and frames and their abuse.

Yeah, I know--script kiddies are writing our net literature. But the fact remains that a plain text-oriented interface is very simple to master, whereas a GUI can foul up anyone.

Maybe I should install Lynx...
    And I think that someone could come up with a very simple, game-like teaching tool that would have all those grannies pointing and clicking and drag-dropping and highlighting/copy/pasting accurately and happily within half an hour.

For all I know such tools already exist. If they don't they should.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

If it works for three-year-olds what does that tell you?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: alsetalokinAnd I think that someone could come up with a very simple, game-like teaching tool that would have all those grannies pointing and clicking and drag-dropping and highlighting/copy/pasting accurately and happily within half an hour.

For all I know such tools already exist. If they don't they should.

I don't think you're taking the limitations of age into account.

Consider someone in their eighth or ninth decade on this planet. The eyes and ears don't work so well, if at all. Steadiness of hand is pretty hard to come by. Any you want such people to click and drag things from one window to another, when the font size is say, 8 pixels tall?

Try resizing a window by dragging its right or left boundary on a high-resolution display. Challenging isn't it? Now, try it while riding in a car going down a potholed road, while viewing the display through frosted-lens spectacles.

I'll be able to hunt and peck on a computer with a swizzle stick held between my teeth when I'm nearing the end of my own road of life. Operating a GUI, not so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

As a codger I can tell you that the dulling of the senses isn't the problem. It is the dulling of the mind, if dulling is a fair description of the process. Perhaps "growing disdain" is a better one.

I myself cannot be bothered to learn the intricacies of a better GUI if I know how to get approximately what I want without it. Mrs A can't be bothered to learn any GUI if she has me around to operate one.
    I see a mouseless, consoleless, keyboardless future when we all recline and wave our appendages around like crazed octupi while interacting with a 3D holographic haptic interface. Now imagine billions of such octupi.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

I'm completely with the Asterix on this one. And speech interfaces (spoken command a la Alexa and speech to text a la iOS) are ludicrously ineffective in a noisy environment. I have a friend who is furious at her Echo/Alexa because it doesn't respond when she barks it orders and the TV is blaring at high volume on some soap opera. Also, God help you if the soap has a character named Alexa! I have another friend who has yet to install an echo and her oldest child is called Alexa. They were thinking of changing her name until I told them they could change "Alexa: to "Computer" (and one other name I forget,

Anyway, the mouse is bad enough the way it is currently implemented but the WORST GUI is iOS on a phone. Try making a correction in the middle of a word in, say, a destination field. The attempt almost always deletes everything rather than allowing correction. And highlighting for COPY or CUT is a nightmare. I don't even try to write WORD or WORD-like documents with it. All because Jobs not only did not implement a mouse but because he went out of his way to design the system so no mouse or mouse-like device COULD BE ADDED even if the end user wanted it.

Another plague is pages set up with lots of images which load at different rates from the text and from each other. As they load, existing text and images and, of course, also links, all jump around like they have St. Vitus's Dance. Try clicking a link before the page is absolutely complete (to save some time) and you are likely to click the wrong link. They you may have to wait until THAT page loads completely before you can go back to wait for the original page. Fucking nightmarish and the older and slower the phone and the worse the internet connection, the more nightmarish it becomes.

And don't get me started on all the interminable and unstoppable useless gratuitous animations, and videos with loud sounds that are self-starting (that should be illegal or have an extra hot spot reserved in hell). The worst offenders seem to be some news sites but there are too many hideous examples to count. One gets to hate using the net in a hurry or in an emergency and I know I try all the workarounds I can so as to never see ads I don't have to, and essentially never look at ads and click bait at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanI see a mouseless, consoleless, keyboardless future when we all recline and wave our appendages around like crazed octupi while interacting with a 3D holographic haptic interface. Now imagine billions of such octupi.

What the fuck is octupi? Perhaps you meant octupee? I suppose they do pee. I mean octopussies do.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: pcstruLogitechto brick Harmony Link products.

Looks like a proper way to do customer relations in 2017.

According to Amazon customer reviews the Link is a piece of shit anyway:

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B005O81U8Y/

Typical:

THIS UNIT IS A JOKE:

Harmony used to make reliable remote controls that worked and were semi-affordable. Now they build product like this that is a complete waste of money and fail more then they work.

I own a local Home Theater company that sells Harmony and I have had to return, replace, and spend so much service time repairing all recent Harmony product from the Link forward to the new Ultimate Piles of crap.

Logitech Harmony used to be a great product, now I wouldn't recommend these to anyone!
    Posted By: maryyugo
    What the fuck is octupi?
    What the fuck are you doing here without a Latin education?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Octopus is Greek.

Plural is octopodes if you are a classicist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: maryyugo... the WORST GUI is iOS on a phone ...
    LOL! Excellent self-parody. Priceless ...