Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010

I wonder if it would be possible to produce a sea going tug powered by skysails, that could tow ships across the ocean, so saving them fossil fuel and all the hassle of skysails?
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Anything is possible, no matter how silly, including increasing drag, cost, and complexity of propulsion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: joshsAnything is possible, no matter how silly.

So we could use an Orbo powered tug instead?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Well once a 2lot beating device comes along which hopefully should be soon then wind power will be unnecessary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I think I'll invest in those new sails anyway.
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

I read a science fiction story years where the world of the time included giant sailing automated sailing ships carrying freight between the continents. The ships were sometimes slow because they were at the mercy of the winds, but there were lots of them, so the average was fairly predictable. They didn't need crews.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

That should OK sailing across the Atlantic but anywhere near Somalia is a no, no.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimThat should OK sailing across the Atlantic but anywhere near Somalia is a no, no.

If the Irish economy is as bad as we hear, perhaps you will soon have to contend with Arran fishermen in really well-knit sweaters attacking ships from their coracles.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: TrimWell once a 2lot beating device comes along which hopefully should be soon then wind power will be unnecessary.
    Sure ... soon. As soon as the stars all implode, as soon as the universe inverts, soon ...
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: joshsAnything is possible, no matter how silly.

So we could use an Orbo powered tug instead?
    Absolutely! Attach the Orbomination to the ship's bow with a quick release. Drop the Orbomination into the water and release the connecting line when it goes taut. There's bound to be a Joule or two of forward propulsion from that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010 edited

Posted By: AngusIf the Irish economy is as bad as we hear...
    Oh it is much, much worse than is being reported! The 15 billion that we are now publicly saying is the gap that we need to close in order to bring our deficit down to under 3% of GDP over the next 4 years is more like 25 billion in reality. Something to think about while we wring our hands fretting over whether or not it will be possible to close a gap of 15 billion in 4 years in an economy as small as ours without sending it into a very long term depression.

Of course it is all window dressing. In reality Europe knows we haven't got a hope of closing a 15 billion gap in 4 years, let alone the 25 billion gap that exists in reality. Still Europe cannot at this stage publicly admit that the 4 year deadline for bringing the gap to under 3% will not be achievable, and are, like us, hoping that if we unleash hell in next months budget we will send a strong enough signal to the bond markets that we are somewhat serious about fixing our absurd deficit, so that we can hopefully return to being able to borrow money from them.

My best case scenario for Ireland: 6 years of unbearable spending cuts reducing our already useless public service to sub third world levels, and a social welfare system that forces it's victims to crime in order to survive, followed by 20 or so years of economic stagnation. Good times!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Damn shame. It was ever thus. I remember the bumper stickers in Alberta in the 1980s after the collapse of the oil boom then. "Please God-let there be another oil boom. We promise we won't piss it away this time". There was, and they did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrimer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010

A baby seal walks into a bar, says to the tender...Ill take anything except canadian club!
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Grimer: LOL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA

Hmmm, that baby seal is almost certainly not of legal drinking age here in Canada. Still, it can't be any weirder (or supposedly tastier) than our wino cows.

http://www.allaboutfeed.net/news/canadian-farmers-feeding-cattle-wine-id4630.html
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: DerrickAHmmm, that baby seal is almost certainly not of legal drinking age here in Canada. Still, it can't be any weirder (or supposedly tastier) than our wino cows.

http://www.allaboutfeed.net/news/canadian-farmers-feeding-cattle-wine-id4630.html
    The farmers are smart enough to save the ROBOT for themselves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

H'lo Frank.

I feel that way about rye whisky myself.
    I can't understand something.

If we are making Progress, why are things so much worse now than they were in the 50's and 60's, in almost every way except medicine and weaponry?

We work longer, pay more taxes, pay more for food and shelter, while governments burgeon in size and cost and invasiveness and shrink in service. Yet even governments are going broke....

There is definitely something wrong with the picture, but I can't find the focus knob.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Could it that it is all financed by borrowing and lenders always want a return on their capital?
    Posted By: TrimCould it that it is all financed by borrowing and lenders always want a return on their capital?

So.... you are saying, if I understand you correctly, that the World Economy is a Ponzi scheme.