Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorloreman
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2021

Or, more likely, one AI to push the "human" button.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

As far as signs of life go, practically speaking, is it likely? Mars has no magnetosphere to speak of, so the surface is bombarded with hard radiation. Is life in this situation likely?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtKZhiCHeRY

Show us the microscopes.

But we do have a movie of the descent to look forward to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: AsterixAs far as signs of life go, practically speaking, is it likely? Mars has no magnetosphere to speak of, so the surface is bombarded with hard radiation. Is life in this situation likely?

If it had water in past times why not? Charged particles won't get to any depth.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Given that life seems to be a rare event--we still don't have the details on how it originates--I believe that life under much harsher conditions than those of Earth is extremely unlikely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

But that's the speculation - that Mars was the more benign planet for life to begin on. Given that we know meteorites from Mars have arrived here, is there any reason to prefer Earth over any of the rocky planets as the original source of microbes?

(Except Mercury, of course).
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

My view is that "life" is far more fragile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2021 edited

Mine is, for sure.

ETA perhaps we shouldn't specify "life" in the panspermia hypothesis. A virus or a prion or some similarly complex piece of evolutionary chemistry might have been a seed transferred among the planets. It's not hard to imagine true metabolising life emerging from that.
    I would point out that life here began almost as soon as imaginable - the Hadean was barely over before we see signs of a genesis in the geologic record.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

And it should also be mentioned that we keep finding things alive in places that seemed impossible a priori
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2021 edited

Does life on Earth exist without nitrogen?

It's there but just barely

In other words, can life be created from carbon, oxygen and hydrogen only? I'd be more optimistic of life on, say, Titan, than Mars.

SF writers have posited the idea of silicon-based life forms, but it's pretty hard to make the chemistry argument for that.
    I'd say that's a highly premature conclusion, especially since 5 cm is about the deepest anyone's looked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

A blade of grass is a commonplace on Earth; it would be a miracle on Mars. Our descendants on Mars will know the value of a patch of green. And if a blade of grass is priceless, what is the value of a human being?

Carl Sagan
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2021 edited

The whole press conference. Perseverance landing video (starts at 12:00 min):

https://youtu.be/4C65iZQ_Yx8
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2021 edited

Perseverance full descent and landing video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czjS9h4Fpg
    Too effin' cool!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2021

Weird. Where are the images?

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/raw-images/

Did the martians award Perseverance a wheel clamp?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2021

It's roving like mad:

•  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Vomit?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Rock-it.