Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2019

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Wrong thread. That's a crashblossom if I ever saw one, and a first class example of the stupidity of dropping demonyms in headlines.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

So how would you word the title?

You've got to pack a lot of information in a simple one-liner. Anyone who's been following the plight of the Chinese Uighurs probably had no difficulty in parsing that. Probably not for Tillie in Topeka.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2019 edited

What's wrong with
    "Chinese Muslims: Xinjiang schools separate children from families"

It doesn 't make them seem so fragile and it's four letters shorter in case that is actually important.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2019 edited

Xinjiang schools separate children from Chinese Muslim families.

It's a simple declarative sentence.

Or, if the point is that the schools are being used by the regime to do this, thus:

Xinjiang schools are being used to separate children from Chinese Muslim families.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2019

Good. My point, as usual, is that there is no good reason to replace the demonym "Chinese" with the country "China". And yet this style has become universal.

But why...?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2019

Even that doesn't tell the whole story.

The Uighur parents have been sent for "re-education" to their own "schools" with the idea of utterly destroying their culture.

That leaves the children (conveniently) without parents, so they're sent to "boarding schools" to finish the job.

That's why any one-liner doesn't really tell the whole story.
    The Chinks have done the same with the Tibetans, flooding their land with Han. It's far worse than mere verbal racism, because it's the act of deliberate cultural destruction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2019 edited

As was done in Hawaii the Residential Schools etc, etc?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2019

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2019

MIght I suggest that in keeping with moletrap practice this should be called the
    Xuck Fi
    thread. I will start it for future posts.