Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2018

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

That's obviously a 2nd law violator.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Or a spot welder.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Or both.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Or none of the above.
    The bell rings when something related to cooking has occurred. Obviously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

The bell is a push button...
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

What bell? I see a pushbutton, an automotive relay and some wire. , so when you push the button, low-voltage DC gets delivered to the two (black and white) wires.

A frog tickler?
    1. there is no bell
    2. there is a pushbutton
    3. there is no third thing
    4. there is a spark gap

therefore

it's a cigarette lighter
    QED
    Or we could go back to the spotwelder, for welding tabs/wires onto batteries maybe.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I don't see the induction coil, unless it's concealed in the relay housing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2018 edited

al and aber0der got it. My very own cobbled together spotwelder for Li ion batteries. No induction coil.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

What is the power source?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The car battery I use to power the bilge pump I have buried in the backyard to get rid of a puddle that seeps into the rock I have incorporated as a decorative feature in my basement.

Believe it or not.
    I can see why the momentary contact horn button. There are probably some pretty spectacular failure modes available, like when the electrodes themselves weld to the battery and the relay sticks on...
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Car battery, yes that was my guess. Does it work? (The welder) I might try to steal your tech.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

The copper wires (I think) don't tend to stick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

It works on an initial test just making melts on a battery. I am awaiting the strapping steel to try an actual weld.

The starter solenoid provides the timing- you just pulse the horn momentary contact switch and let the solenoid do its thing. It seems to be pretty good. I did try holding the button down and you will melt through the bottom of the battery in about a second. As aberoder says, the copper doesn't seem to stick to the steel.

I will let you know how the welds are when I get a chance to do some.

I suppose I could put in a four billion amp fuse for safety. Otherwise I could just keep a hatchet nearby.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

A microwave oven transformer makes a pretty good basis for a real spot welder.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

A shot showing two welds. The big black pair are what happened when I held the horn button down. The workpiece acts as its own fuse. The smaller dents are what I hope will be a weld.

I don't know why this spot welder wouldn't be "real". It is a resistance weld using a high current through the workpiece.It derives the high current from a local chemical energy store rather than stepping down the voltage of a low current electrical distribution system.