Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2018

I found a pretty huge air compressor in my backyard but it doesn't have an air tank. Would a long hose (which I need anyway) do or should I buy a dedicated pressure vessel?
    There are two parameters (at least) that must be considered. Pressure, and flow rate. The pressure tank allows the compressor to pump up a volume of air to a designated pressure, then shut off. You then may draw off air from the pressure vessel at higher flow rates than the compressor alone can deliver, for short periods of time. Then when the pressure in the tank drops below a set minimum the compressor starts up again and the cycle repeats. Small workshop air compressors usually are designed for a duty cycle of 50 percent or less.
    So whether or not you need a tank depends on your application.
    If your application doesn't need high flow rates you may be able to get by without a pressure vessel. Artist's small airbrush compressors usually don't have a tank because they are designed to run at 100 percent duty cycle and provide all the air the brush needs, the excess being vented overboard by the regulator. I suppose they are really more "pumps" than "compressors". Ditto for aquarium bubbler/filter air sources.
    Posted By: aber0derI found a pretty huge air compressor in my backyard
    This tends not to happen to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2018

Posted By: alsetalokin run at 100 percent duty cycle and provide all the air the brush needs, the excess being vented overboard by the regulator.

But, if you are generating more pressure than just enough to waft paint - the noise! I have a tire pump like that and it is deafening.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2018

It is pretty huge, I can barely move it. It has a 3-phase motor and a 50cm cooling fan. Weighs about 100-150kg.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I'd get a pressure tank for something that large. If you don't have one and can figure out a way to use the air, there are some issues:

1. The air that you'll get will tend to be very wet and require an air dryer.
    2. You'll probably end up venting much of the output.
    3. The air will not have smooth flow, but rather "pulse", which may not make it suitable for many things.

In any case, you'll need at least a filter, and, if you use it for tools, an oiler.
    And regulator.
    Or, you could tie a rope to it and use it for a boat anchor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I'd suggest a nice 25 pound Bruce instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: alsetalokinOr, you could tie a rope to it and use it for a boat anchor.

That's what bothers me. ALDI sells compressors for 125€ once a year and I can't imagine a realistic scenario where that cheapo thing would not meet my needs. I actually don't need one at all.

But since it's there...
    Posted By: aber0derBut since it's there...

It's an air compressor ffs, not the Zugspitze. And since you found it in your back yard, it probably was put there for a reason... like it doesn't work, or something subtle like that.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Good point--does the motor work? Is the compressor unit any good or are the rings shot?

The problem is that "found" things can often turn into expensive major projects.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman

Right? Some people have all the luck.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2018 edited

Posted By: oak
    Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman

Right? Some people have all the luck.

I actually found it in the toolshed. But it hasn't been in use for ca. 30-40 years. Just moved around occasionally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

You are misinterpreting the situation.It is obviously an exercise machine.
    Do not push the big red button
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2018 edited

Here is a photo of the thing.

Could the frame be an air reservoir?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Oh, I thought you said it was big, like this:

I use a 3 hp compressor and I consider it to be barely adequate for most air tools. Certainly not "big".

As far as the bottom being a reservoir of sorts, it's hard to say without seeing the whole thing in all of its (?) glory. But yes, it could possibly be one, particularly considering the size of the compressor itself.

But sitting there in a shed, you'll be fortunate if the cylinder hasn't frozen up due to corrosion.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2018

Ill try to move it to the other shed where there is a 3phase socket to plug it in. Maybe I should disassemble it first. And I'm still not sure about the air tank in the frame. It seems too small by volume. I will know soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: aber0derIt seems too small by volume.

Compressed air takes up less volume than regular air.