Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2020

Uh, Tesla has at least one working prototype.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner

Posted By: goatcheezUh, Tesla has at least one working prototype.

So does Nikola. But 'working' is a loose definition for both.

Tesla still has not actually delivered one, just taken pre-orders, same as Nikola.

Even if they do start to deliver them, either one is daft for long haul. Just the weight of the batteries reduces the load capacity significantly enough to make them a bad idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

But they have a fleet of smaller automobiles and a charging network.

And very enthusiastic shareholders.
    Just connect another trailer full of batteries.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

For long range enthusiasts a charger-trailer with a stack of batteries to recharge the car while driving would certainly relieve some range anxiety. But, most of us probably won't endure a 100km+ commute that long. Because those 24h days still seem to dictate our daily schedules.

For the remaining six occasions where one needs a longer range ICE car... rent one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner

Posted By: alsetalokinJust connect another trailer full of batteries.

Pretty sure that was sarcasm, but, 80,000lbs total is generally the limit for road trucks. Thus the problem with batteries. They will reduce the cargo capacity by 15% or more compared to a diesel truck.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

There also could be an army of autonomous driving recharging drones lending some amperage. Electification as a service. Once diesel trucks are made prohibitively expensive all kinds of supportive infrastructure can be profitable.
    Tracking SPS space lasers
    Conductive strips in the lanes. Brushes dangling down from the autos. You could even include a slot for steering. Raise the keel for entry and exit, lower the keel into the slot when in the lane (we call it "in the groove") and let the brushes suck up energy from the fixed hydrogen fuel nanocell graphene plants situated every 3.7 kilometres alongside the thoroughfare. It's just silly to carry your energy source along with you. Like the worst part about rocketry, brought to earth and laid out horizontally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2020

Nikola doesn't:

https://electrek.co/2020/09/14/nikola-nkla-admits-faking-video-driving-prototype-weak-response/
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

I can't wait to get an electric Peterbilt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

You will terrify the ladies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2020 edited

Posted By: goatcheez

Nikola doesn't:

https://electrek.co/2020/09/14/nikola-nkla-admits-faking-video-driving-prototype-weak-response/

That was not fake, it was entirely real. It really rolled down a hill. :)
    And yes, they weaseled with 'in motion'. Technically true but clearly with the intent to decieve.

There are some other videos of a truck that is driving around, on flat ground in a parking lot. That may be some sort of fraud or deception making it go and not what they specify as the truck they say they will sell, but it appears to be one of their trucks driving under it's own power.

I'll try to find the video.

And yes, I think it is a scam and that Mary Barra at GM got taken for $2billion by a fraudster. Time will tell.

ETA: The video: https://youtu.be/h30TNwfq_Ss
    its
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Posted By: saner
    I'll try to find the video.

If it's for me, don't bother.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsaner

Posted By: goatcheezIf it's for me, don't bother.

I already had. Not like it was a huge burden or effort.

And it is better than anything the Steorn jokers came up with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2020

It's a picofactory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2020