Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2019

Process creates virgin quality plastics from waste.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/plastic-recycling-virgin-circular/
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2019

Does it cost more to create virgins from waste than it does from oil? If so, the process is a loser.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2020 edited

Bye-bye US recycling

Deposit on drink containers will probably be the last holdout. Either landfill or burn the rest. My local trash hauler doesn't even take glass and very few plastics--so it all goes into the trash.

One of the neighbors a couple of miles down the road commented yesterday how the roadside had gotten much cleaner in the last month or two. I told him that when walking the dogs, I take along a couple of bags and pick up the beer cans (almost all Coors), vodka bottles and other major trash and dispose of it myself. Makes our stretch of the road look less like Bangladesh.

I leave paper items, as they eventually self-destruct.
    The irony of that roadside trash is that it is probably mostly left by the same few persons who habitually traverse the stretch of roadway. I would even wager that Coors beer cans will turn up within a few yards of the same spot, perhaps daily (except weekends).

Similarly, the gum-encrusted sidewalks outside the entrances of major buildings are due to the inconsiderate activity of a few individuals, perhaps only one or two, who habitually spit out their chewing gum before entering the building.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2020

Not in Singapore.
    Of course not, but even in relatively controlled and repressive societies there will be individuals who, in one way or the other, confirm the Tragedy of the Commons, either by using more than their fair share or by trashing the place for the restofus.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2020

One of the culprits is that Oregon, like many states, has an open-container law. Simply stated, you're not allowed to have any partially (the law does not define that termp) consumed container of alcoholic beverage in your vehicle, be it the driver's or the passenger's. Class B violation.

So folks dispose of the empties in the most expedient way. Here, the deposit is a dime per container; I wish they'd raise it to at least a quarter.

But yeah, the bulk is Coors or the blue Bud Light minis. Some 20-24 oz. malt liquor cans and the occasional vodka bottle. But no microbrews. Obviously, people are drinking to get buzzed, not to actually enjoy the flavor.