Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2021

Bluto is on the way to the launch facility. This must mean that SN15 is ready. With dozens of improvements including new Raptors and landing legs, I'm optimistic.
    This latest cockup, per an Elon tweet, was due to a small methane leak. This caused the minor fire on ascent, and the big boom on engine restart.

I would have thought that the static fire test would have spotted that.
    Then again, I reckon he's keen to move on to later versions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2021 edited

+sigh+ If they had removed that skirt-thing as I said they wouldn't have got methane trapped in it.
    Posted By: Angus+sigh+ If they had removed that skirt-thing as I said they wouldn't get methane trapped in it.

Zackly. Or perforate it at least, if they aren't going to fix the leaks. Heck, if they do it right the holes could make it whistle like a banshee on the way up and moan like a mountain goat on the way down. That would be cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Ju-87 like.
    Musqminor fire

boy I'll say
    Posted By: AngusJu-87

Phantom F-4C also
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Looks like Bluto is there for another pressurization test for a fuel tank. This one appears to be Booster size! What a lovely fog it will make when pressurized with N2 till destruction. Freeze the turtles all the way down.

A few weeks back I raised the issue of why on earth SpaceX would want to build their own custom GSE fuel tanks, since this is such a mature off-the-shelf tech. Up until now they've taken the expected off-the-shelf route; witness the original tank farm. This article attempts an answer
    https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starship-launch-pad-custom-storage-tanks/

Not only is Starship potentially a very capable design (>100 tons to orbit) compared with the competition, but it's also both very cheap (<< $10 M?) and reusable (100%), and rapidly reusable at that (hours not months).
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2021

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanNot only is Starship potentially a very capable design (>100 tons to orbit) compared with the competition, but it's also both very cheap (<< $10 M?) and reusable (100%), and rapidly reusable at that (hours not months).

100% Fantasy. They haven't yet delivered on costs and turnaround on Falcon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Once you can build 30 ft. rings, you can make all sorts of things; rockets, ground storage equipment, etc.
    Yup. There's also the issue of transportation for a 9m diameter tank that you buy commercially.
    Posted By: pcstru100% Fantasy. They haven't yet delivered on costs and turnaround on Falcon.
    Which are supposed to be what? Worse than the competition?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman
    Posted By: pcstru100% Fantasy. They haven't yet delivered on costs and turnaround on Falcon.
    Which are supposed to be what? Worse than the competition?

Are they? Well, it wouldn't surprise me.

What I said was that what you said was fantasy. It is 100% Trimsville, launching from a seastead near you soooooon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Yes. 30ft rings.
    Yum.
    Just tell us what they
    Posted By: pcstruhaven't yet delivered on costs and turnaround on Falcon
    . I'm curious to know what you think this is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2021 edited

SN15 enroute to the launch area.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2021

Looks fast!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2021

Posted By: AngusLooks fast!
    ...and wants to be as slow as possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2021

Reminds me of a girl al knew in high school...