Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjohnq
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2021 edited

sn20 sf today 12:13 cst

At least 6 tiles fell off here, so you wonder how many might fall off during an actual orbital launch.

- the lever arm will be greater (~120m vs. ~50m) so lateral movement will probably be greater
    - the duration will be greater (minutes vs. 3 seconds)
    - the hull will pass through maxQ
    - 29 vs. 6 Raptors will fire.

so probably a lot more than 6.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjohnq

yep, you can count the light specs on the body and see them fall on the vid

most appear to be in the chilled tank area
    yup

Many fans try and make light of it, but it's probably a big deal. If the flame front gets under a tile, it can peel off another...and another, etc. This is the reason they went with hexagonal tiles - the path is not straight as in the case of square ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjohnq

when asked about it, e.m. responded "That's not good."

aluminum, the main shuttle material, has a melting point of 660 C; whereas, stainless steel is close to 1500 C depending on the grade

i doubt st elon will change SN20 before the launch

he rather enjoys RUDs

besides, sn21 is almost finished :)
    I imagine the accomodations will get kinda toasty upon reentry when a lot of tiles are missing
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2021

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanMany fans try and make light of it, but it's probably a big deal.

Who knows, time will tell.
    But a static fire with almost empty tanks gives you totally different rattles and resonances compared to a fully tanked up ship where most of the v goes into the delta.

They will figure it out, and the first few ships will burn/crash anyway. Having some data on the significance of missing/failing tiles can't hurt.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2021

If the heat tiles prove to be an unsolvable problem we could still rely on Blue Origin's suborbital Alfred E Neumann cylinders and launch from there.
    Have you just invented the suborbital O'Neill Cylinder?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2021 edited

Jeff Whomart did. I am only a tiny little marker molecule.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2021

Musk ought to rent Ascension island, has a nice long runway made for an emergency shuttle landing.
    What a helpful suggestion
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Well no FAA to worry about, he could park his oil rig near there closer to the equator.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2021 edited

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanFucking FAA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVULaolVCNI

"...a disappointment to Spacex content creators across the planet..."

"Spacex Content Creator"? What exactly does that imply? If it just involves reporting on what is going on with regard to Spacex, then these people would be "reporters" (or maybe "journalists" if they are a bit more up market). But a "creator" of content" is presumably adding something that isn't present in the bald facts.

Would "Content Creator" be a polite word for "bullshitter", "exaggerator", "flak", "marketer", "rumour-monger"?

Or just plain "liar"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: AngusOr just plain "liar"?

Surely that would be "Content Fabricator"?
    Posted By: TrimWell no FAA to worry about
    Sorry, nope. In order for SpaceX to be free of the FAA, it must cease to be a US company.

Were it to try that, there would be financial repercussions as well as political ones - and many of these not minor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: pcstru
    Posted By: AngusOr just plain "liar"?

Surely that would be "Content Fabricator"?

Yes, I suppose so. But I'm not clear about the difference between "Creating" and "Fabricating".
    Think entertainment. I do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

OK - entertainment. Like Spiderman movies. So we shouldn't assume that anything we see there is real in any sense?