Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2019

Good night, sleep well. Fork you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2020

I need a little help with the USan political system. I hear it said that Wee Donald is the leader of the Republican party. I'd like to know how and when this came about. He wasn't the leader when he was contending for the presidential nomination. Perhaps he became leader when he won the nomination, but that would make Hilary Clinton leader of the Democrats, and unless I missed her resignation, that didn't happen. So perhaps the leadership of a party is automatic if you get elected president. But what about the other parties? And what are the actual duties of a party leader anyway?

It seems more sensible to have the parties elect leaders, and the voters elect parties.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

It's one of those mysteries, like the Trinity, that cannot easily be explained.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Oh.
    I see...
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

It's just a custom. Heaven only knows why.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2020 edited

Should all them past recipients of the freedom medal do something?
    They are defective products, obviously. They should be returned to the vendor for a refund.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: AsterixIt's just a custom. Heaven only knows why.

Well, OK, but it seems to have more weight than a custom. Wee Donald strikes fear into the Republicans just as if he had some sort of office in the party, to hire and fire at will. The Democrats, being out of the White House, have no such tyrant. What you have then is the efficiency of a dictatorship against the bumbling confusion of a democracy. It's a one sided contest.

The USA could definitely benefit from re-adopting Westminster rules.
    Dictators and kings are all well and good, except for that "absolute power corrupts absolutely" thing about human nature. What we need is a nice Karellen to whip us into shape for our own good, someone or something that is so all-powerful that our petty squabbles and ideas of profit are meaningless to it, and which knows what is good and proper behaviour for a primitive colony of quarrelsome primates.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: alsetalokinThey are defective products, obviously. They should be returned to the vendor for a refund.

There's no refund, but the devaluation is real. He destroyed the illusion of a moral superior western democracy. He is one of the greatest assholes in human history. Far worse than that coroner-virus nobody talks about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinKarellen to whip us into shape

Nice, but if you remember the original, Karellen dealt exclusively with the Secretary General of the United Nations in whipping the earth into shape. I can't quite see the aliens using that avenue of international power these days. It's not evident to me what they would do. Steer clear, probably.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidential_Medal_of_Freedom_recipients

President Barack Obama awarded 123 medals, the most ever...
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: goatcheezPresident Barack Obama awarded 123 medals, the most ever...

...and Donnie Dumbturd only needed one to spoil everything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2020

The Arkansas Republican senator Tom Cotton has called the enslavement of millions of African people “the necessary evil upon which the union was built”.

There is nothing necessary about the USA. It is a country like another. As soon as that is grasped, the world can get on with progress.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

And it’s a failing country at that.
    Cotton - a typical exceptionalism moron
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: AngusThere is nothing necessary about the USA. It is a country like another. As soon as that is grasped, the world can get on with progress.

I'm sure Xi Jinping will be all over that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: BigOilRep
    Posted By: AngusThere is nothing necessary about the USA. It is a country like another. As soon as that is grasped, the world can get on with progress.

I'm sure Xi Jinping will be all over that.

There is nothing necessary about China either. China has been fairly successful in appearing to have changed that in world trade and seems now to aim at the same sort of necessity to which the USA pretends.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Whether it is "necessary" to fit into the "true but so what" category. Nothing is necessary.

They are here. They are nearly a fifth of the world population, 15% of it's economy and have growing international spheres of influence.

The last thing they will be is progressive, at least by our understanding of the word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The "necessjty" I was talking about is that "necessity" that Mr Cotton cited as a justification for evil, in particular; slavery.