Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2021

Posted By: goatcheez
    Posted By: goatcheezFive years ago, a friend of mine showed me a magnetic phenomenon he stumbled across. It was something similar to Levitron except that it involved the ability of a spinning magnetic to trap another magnetic and suspend it in the spinning magnet's fieldregardless of the polarity of the stationary magnetic. A search showed that no one appears to have ever reported nor explained this phenomenon.

Since then, he has written a paper explaining the phenomenon and is attempting to get it published. Here is a preprint of the paper (caution: no one here will read it because it is too long but it does have some pretty pictures):

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202009.0001/v1

If the pictures are not enough to interest you, here are numerous videos of his demonstration of the phenomenon:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k16o8tomnvd0i4g/AABZtpUcSwpH7Ae6DRmSjJQta

If anyone does have any comments or questions, I will be happy to forward them to my friend or put you in touch with him after I get his permission.

Someone has replicated his work:https://youtu.be/V5FyFvgxUhE

Hamdi's article has been published:

https://www.mdpi.com/2073-8994/13/3/442
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2021 edited

Inertia? I'm only asking and I am not an expert. Not at all.

Is it an application of existing phenomena or an entirely new phenomenon?

(those typos everywhere...)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Reading...
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Never seen it before my friend Mr. Ucar presented it to me 5 years ago. I encouraged him to research it and he wrote a magnificent paper with all the math.

He and I are working on a patent which would apply the concept to conveyances...all types...from production lines to rapid transit. I hope he gets rich on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Processing...
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2021 edited

Rebooting...

(ERRR MSG; Please announce unscheduled shutdowns in a timely fashion, or retime them in accordance with our maintenance schedule. Thanks.)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2021

Downloading...
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: goatcheezNever seen it before my friend Mr. Ucar presented it to me 5 years ago. I encouraged him to research it and he wrote a magnificent paper with all the math.

He and I are working on a patent which would apply the concept to conveyances...all types...from production lines to rapid transit. I hope he gets rich on it.

That is really cool.

Believe it or not it is something that TK actually conjectured, regarding what he called the Nikolayev trailer hitch. His version wasn't stable unless its motion was restricted in one degree of freedom, as pointed out also in the video, but he figured that it could be spin-stabilized although he never actually tried it. And of course any kind of mathematical analysis is by definition over his head, especially if it involves time derivatives of motion.
    (And he got the idea from a demonstration by Gennady Shipov, who showed the ISSO crew a little train of cars made of magnets that needed no contact in order to remain linked in the train. And he got the idea from Nikolayev's apocryphal book itself.)

I hope you both get rich on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNaxoKkGTRM
    An engineer, seeing the opportunity to redesign maglev trains, will first wonder whether a suitable spinning magnet can be made cheaper than a suitable stationary one.
    • CommentAuthorthehard

Funny. I just bought this.

Polymagnet demo kit

I had watched this video ages ago and suddenly the other day I remembered "hey, I promised myself I would buy this shit whenever I'd have some cash to waste".

I wonder if you can put both techs together.

Posted By: goatcheezI hope he gets rich on it.

Hey, if you are working on this, you should get rich too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

No, it's his idea. I'm just advising him to write the paper and now to seek a patent.

I have also advised him to seek a wealthy partner. Having a patent can be worthless unless you have the resources to defend it. I believe they made a movie about the man who held the patent on intermittent wind screen wipers. He eventually won his fight with the Detroit thieves of his idea; but, did not live to see the benefits.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Fork, I would be the perfect parter if wealth was of no concern.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: goatcheezNo, it's his idea. I'm just advising him to write the paper and now to seek a patent.

I have also advised him to seek a wealthy partner. Having a patent can be worthless unless you have the resources to defend it. I believe they made a movie about the man who held the patent on intermittent wind screen wipers. He eventually won his fight with the Detroit thieves of his idea; but, did not live to see the benefits.

Absolutely. If your idea is any good, keep it secret and get into production quick. If it isn't, just forget it. Patents are mostly for little companies to wave about to impress investors, and for lawyers to get really really rich off.

And never get into the position of being a small guy with an excellent, patent in a suit against a big company that stole it. Remember that the patent office doesn't guarantee its work. Your patent's value depends mostly on how much you pay your lawyers.

(I'm feeling very cynical these days.)
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Keep the stuff and hold it as a "trade secret". You stand a better chance of prevailing in a piracy lawsuit than in a patent action--those often take years to settle. Do copyright what you can without giving away the store.

Patent lawsuits and class-action suits mostly exist to enrich lawyers.
    Posted By: goatcheezNo, it's his idea. I'm just advising him to write the paper and now to seek a patent.
    His physics is very nice (I have staggered through 32 of 96 pages so far). Looks like he has a genuine handle on all this. The fact that he uses a simulator is reassuring too.

What he needs now is a killer app. As mentioned, my chief curiosity here would be about maglev.