Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Posted By: AsterixSounds familiar; Ford in 2016

Posted By: goatcheezPaywalled.

That's weird. I don't get the paywall. I wonder why you do and I don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2021 edited

Because of the migration CA to TX?

I might have exceeded my free pages.
    Yes! Drunk driving is legal again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2021

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/electric-car-batteries-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times

100 km in 5 minutes. For a 20kW motor that's maybe a quarter Megawatt. Filling stations might get interesting.
    Like those drive thru car washes. You drive up to the mark and select Charge Mode on the system control menu. The big current clamps enfold your Tslar Mark V sedan in their secure embrace, you put on some nice Philip Glass on the entertainment system and settle back for a short nap, lulled gently to sleep by the low hum of the charging station. Before the chord changes, you're done, and the clamps retract, your debit annunciator app beeps at you to indicate transaction complete, and you are on your way, fully charged and FSD all the way. In a minute or two another MegaStation looms on the horizon and you tell the car you need to pee....
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

...and a sultry female voice says, "Why didn't you go while we were stopped for electrons?!?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Let's see: a quarter Megawatt into a system running at, say 300 VDC = 800 Amps. Tip: buy copper futures. The wires are going to be something else.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Why not use room-temperature subpar-conductors?
    Because charging is usually outside
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2021 edited

That'll work in much of here. Sometimes. If we don't cave under the pressure.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I propose that every EV should have a trolley to contact an overhead wire.

For 800A at 240VAC, my charts say that a 20 foot (6 m) cable minimum wire size is AWG 6, or about the size of the 12V battery cable on a normal ICE car. And since the wire is carrying DC, not AC, you can probably get away with AWG 8 without things heating too much.

Light industrial power line drop is 11KV 3-phase typically carrying 150A per phase, so not impractical.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I thought the same. But it does mean a large buildout of heavy copper cable, hence my investment recommendation. Also of course, there will be only somewhat less heavy copper inside each car for distribution to the batteries.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Looking at the table above and using the wire calculator for DC says that the numbers are wrong. An AWG 4/0 cable 6m long at 800 A DC will show an 11% loss. (Ohm's law). A 4/0 copper wire is about 1 cm in diameter and, for 20 ft/6m, weighs about 6 kg without insulation. Double this and add about 50% for insulation, etc. and you've got a cable that's going to be hard for the little old retired schoolteacher to handle. Not impossible, just awfully cumbersome.

And you're losing 11% to heat with every refill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

...not to mention the connectors!
    When most of the fleet has become robotaxis, there'll be incentive to fully automate charging. Various ways to engineer this.
    Hence the all-embracing current clamps at the SuprChargr stations. Who needs meters of heavy copper cable when you can just squeeze the whole autoautocar in a giant conductive grasper and charge it through the hard points on the hull.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

And if you have a cross-polar collision between two such vehicles?
    Then robot war
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2021