Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjohnq
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2021

factory berlin will eventually produce 2,000,000 teslas annually
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

With those high profit margins they should be able reinvest and start building additional factories targeting lower cost/lower margin high volume products.
    Something like a VW Golf MK 1 based on a single cast underbody with a stainless steel origami atop which looks a little like a DeLorean but without the silly doors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: enginerd
    Posted By: pcstru
    Posted By: enginerdProsperity and energy consumption are the same thing.

Err... seems rather dodgy.

Two brothers, live next door to each other in identical dwellings with identical lifestyles. Only one is gifted £1million by their favourite aunt. Other than put it in the bank, he changes nothing. He is now more prosperous but consumes the same energy. So, no.

Well, maybe "prosperity" is the wrong word, but maybe not. So he has a jillion more dollars in the bank. His standard of living is not better than his brother, until he consumes more energy by buying anything or going anywhere that his brother doesn't get to have or go.

If prosperity is using wealth, he could simply make charitable donations and he would use no more energy. Perhaps those donations are to 'green' causes; designed to drive energy use down.

I'd generally agree that energy use is tied to disposable income/wealth in some way (you can't buy energy if you don't have the money) but it is not a hard functional dependency. You can have money which you could dispose of (prosperous by definition) to reduce your energy footprint. If that wasn't the case, it would seem impossible to reduce our energy use in principle. A simple example : Our man replaces a 100W incandescent light bulb that lasts a year with a 15W LED that will last 15 years. The LED is just a little too expensive for his brother, who has to continue with the cheaper but less efficient bulb.
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

Posted By: enginerd
    Posted By: enginerdProsperity and energy consumption are the same thing.

Err... seems rather dodgy.

Two brothers, live next door to each other in identical dwellings with identical lifestyles. Only one is gifted £1million by their favourite aunt. Other than put it in the bank, he changes nothing. He is now more prosperous but consumes the same energy. So, no.

Well, maybe "prosperity" is the wrong word, but maybe not. So he has a jillion more dollars in the bank. His standard of living is not better than his brother, until he consumes more energy by buying anything or going anywhere that his brother doesn't get to have or go.

If prosperity isusingwealth, he could simply make charitable donations and he would use no more energy. Perhaps those donations are to 'green' causes; designed to drive energy use down.

I'd generally agree that energy use is tied to disposable income/wealth in some way (you can't buy energy if you don't have the money) but it is not a hard functional dependency. You can have money which you could dispose of (prosperous by definition) to reduce your energy footprint. If that wasn't the case, it would seem impossible to reduce our energy use in principle. A simple example : Our man replaces a 100W incandescent light bulb that lasts a year with a 15W LED that will last 15 years. The LED is just a little too expensive for his brother, who has to continue with the cheaper but less efficient bulb.

I hear what you are saying, but I think the correlation is stronger than you are suggesting, probably because of my choice of term. If I change "prosperity" to "standard of living", does that make the case? The light bulb example illustrates a short-term situation. Long term, it is cheaper to use the LED bulb, so even if the poor brother can't swing the LED at the moment, he is spending more using the incandescent. If he can't afford it, he has to use his lights less, which speaks directly to standard of living. There are some cases where efficiencies are unavailable to some. One brother lives in the city and the other in the country and the city brother walks to work and uses less energy. In these cases, you need to make appropriate comparisons. The first cousin who lives in the city takes a taxi whenever he wants -- a higher standard of living.
    This is where the strategy of borrowing money to save money longer term comes in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2021

New solder extends life of EV electronics | The Engineer The Engineer

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/solder-ljmu/
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2021

•  
      CommentAuthorjohnq

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

unique liquid cooling system that can phase the liquid into vapor

How unique is that?! We used to call it "sweating".
    I wish al were here to want to see the connector. I also want to see the battery that can take a full charge in 5 minutes without exploding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjohnq
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2021

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

A "T" can be charged fully in five?
    It doesn't say so there.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Meanwhile, in Sydney: Robo-dog vs. cats
    Posted By: AngusA "T" can be charged fully in five?
    It doesn't say so there.
    Huh?

0% to 80% charge in under 48 minutes for the Mach-E
    https://insideevs.com/news/503880/mustang-mach-e-dc-fast-charge-test/
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The headline of the article was
    Ford invents cable that can charge electric cars in about 5 minutes
    . Maybe it was just a crashblossom and what they meant was that it only took five minutes to invent.
    I'm sorry, but I don't know which article it was to which you're referring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

You can always blame me, everybody else does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: johnqjust buy a T

https://www.teslarati.com/ford-mach-e-exec-model-3-advice/

This article
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

I prefer coffee.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjohnq

the article is about the ford dealer market mark-ups adding as much as $20k to the cost

when a potential buyer complained to ford management, they said to just go buy a Tesla

point is, dealers make most of their money from post sale repair and maintenance to ice-bound vehicles...a mortal revenue source with EVs