Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2020

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman"The base model starts at $140,000, and the performance model will start at roughly $180,000"

Goodbye

Cheaper per KG than the original Tesla roadster by about half.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2020

An SUV with a curb weight of nearly 4 tons.

Impressive.
    "I'll have a pound of sprouts and a ton of car please luv"
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2020 edited

EVs and Covid 19

Shortages loom for cobalt for batteries. Musk is moving to LFP battery chemistry in China.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2020

BEIJING – As China tries to recover from the impact of the coronavirus, making sure its plans for electric vehicles stay on track is one priority.

Soon after signs that the outbreak in China was under control, the central authority and local governments announced stimulus policies aimed at automobiles, particularly new energy vehicles.

In the last few weeks, NEV subsidies and tax break policies set to expire this year were extended by two years to 2022. Battery charging infrastructure – frequently cited as a reason for not buying an electric car – got an injection of 2.7 billion yuan. That would allow for a ten-fold increase in scale versus last year, according to state media.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/04/electric-cars-take-the-spotlight-in-chinas-post-coronavirus-stimulus-plans.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2020

The Dyson that wasn't.

I can see why.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Although, N526 dB Musk would make a cute name for a girl.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

What's with the eyes?

•  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2020 edited

God battery running a bit late.

Sastry says Sakti3 will commercialize its technology in a couple of years, and the first application will be consumer electronics. If all goes according to plan, electric-vehicle batteries will follow. And if Sakti3 delivers what it says it has, it could be the kind of battery to give us the 300-mile, $25,000 electric car.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/secretive-company-claims-battery-breakthrough/

August 20, 2014

(why does EEStor come into mind?)
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2020

Posted By: goatcheezI can see why.

I mean, I don't like it, but that style of "urban SUV" is super popular in a lot of places - certainly in the UK they are everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

And the batteries don't exist.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: goatcheezAnd the batteries don't exist.

Now you're just being fussy. Strap a load of those 9v ones together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2020

Could Tesla Reveal A 700-Mile Model 3? New Battery Tech May Make This Possible

This video explores the possibility of Tesla revealing a battery that combines longevity with a very low cell cost and extremely high energy density. If it came to be, the video predicts Tesla could have a Model 3 with some 700 miles of range. We think this figure is far too optimistic, but even pushing the Model 3 past 400 miles would be an amazing achievement.
    https://insideevs.com/news/424556/700-mile-tesla-model-3/
    Should result in some amazing fires!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

It's hard to beat a good gasoline fire.
    Posted By: goatcheezIt's hard to beat a good gasoline fire.

It would be a great video though, wouldn't it? 12 gallons of the finest unleaded premium, versus a fully charged 700 mile Tesla battery pack, let the highest, hottest and longest blaze win!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The fuel is a fire; the battery is a bomb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Yeah, too bad EEStor didn't work out. Now, THAT would be a bomb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Unfortunately that bomb bombed.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2020

Posted By: goatcheez[span style=font-size: 12pt]Could Tesla Reveal A 700-Mile Model 3? New Battery Tech May Make This Possible[/span]

This video explores the possibility of Tesla revealing a battery that combines longevity with a very low cell cost and extremely high energy density. If it came to be, the video predicts Tesla could have a Model 3 with some 700 miles of range. We think this figure is far too optimistic, but even pushing the Model 3 past 400 miles would be an amazing achievement.
    https://insideevs.com/news/424556/700-mile-tesla-model-3/
    I didn't watch this all the way through, but the guy clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

I think about the only thing correct in this video is the expectation of million mile battery life. That seems likely to me and most other annalists I've seen making guesses about what to expect on "battery day".

His guesses about the benefits of the new electrode types, and methods are wildly overblown or just dead wrong. Still the more reasonable estimates for range increase are still impressive. The Model 3 long range battery may go up to 360 to 380 miles from the current 310 to 330. The model S which is currently around 400 miles could get up to about 480.

I think what Musk is really excited about is the cost reductions in battery production. One of the "authorized leaks" from Tesla to Reuters was "cost parity" to ICE cars. It may mean a significant price reduction in the cost of Tesla's cars, but will certainly result in higher margins.