Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2020

Sing the Car Plane Electric

The aircraft, an adapted Cessna Caravan 208B, will make its first flight on May 28 at an airstrip in Washington State at 8 a.m. local time (11 a.m. ET).
    The original Cessna Caravan is one of the most widely used middle-mile planes in the world, with more than 2,600 aircraft working in 100 countries, the press release states.
    The all-electric version will use a 750-horsepower (560kW) magni500 propulsion system.
    "As the world's largest all-electric aircraft, this first flight is a significant milestone in disrupting the transportation industry and accelerating the electric aviation revolution," reads the press release.
    https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/first-flight-largest-electric-aircraft-scli-intl/index.html
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: korkskrewannalists

You make the same prediction every year?
    lol +1
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Well, at least he used a double "n"...
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2020

Tesla Model 3 was the top selling car in California in Q1 2020, just edging out the Honda Civic. Almost 19K cars sold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2020

!!
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Q1 of 2020 is not comparable to anything we have experienced. I am having a hard time feeling sorry for those Tesla buyers. On the other hand... all those laid off restaurant workers, etc. who cannot even dream of affording a Tesla and now cannot even afford a Ford 150 to carry their lawnmowers around... I can work up a good bit of empathy for them, without even trying hard.
    Posted By: alsetalokinI am having a hard time feeling sorry for those Tesla buyers.
    What on earth are you on about? They certainly don't need anyone's pity.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2020 edited

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman
    Posted By: alsetalokinI am having a hard time feeling sorry for those Tesla buyers.
    What on earth are you on about? They certainly don't need anyone's pity.

Exactly! I'm glad we agree.

Let me try to put it another way. The reason that Tesla outsold everybody else during Q1 of 2020 is because there is a Global Pandemic happening and most automobile-buying activity has been suspended because the Ordinary People who used to be able to afford to buy a car or pickup truck -- and who would not buy a Tesla even if they could afford it -- can't. If that gives Tesla bragging rights... fine, well excuse me.
    So now you're blaming Tesla not only for having a socially responsible vehicle that's the safest out there, but also for having streamlined the purchasing process to a flick of the online wrist, a radically simpler process than anyone else's? I'd excuse that, sure - if I understood it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

The Tesla is not yet cost effective based on a direct analysis. However, that might soon change with better battery technology to reduce the cost and increase the longevity.

Also, most analyses I have seen are based on the life of the ICE-base vehicle. While not borne out due to the youth of the product, it could be that an electric vehicle could be expected to last twice as long as the ICE-based.

Then, there's the subjective analysis. Tesla owners that I have read their testimony, or know them directly, often say there is no comparison in the satisfaction of ownership.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

Posted By: Andrew Palfreymana socially responsible vehicle

Don't make me laugh, it hurts too much.

I can still recall the closest I've come to a Tesla automobile: It was the one I saw parked at an _expired parking meter_ downtown. Now that's social responsibility.
    Posted By: goatcheezTesla owners that I have read their testimony, or know them directly, often say there is no comparison in the satisfaction of ownership.

Have you asked the same question of a proud owner of a brand new Ford F150 or a Dodge Ram truck? I'd wager that the answer would be the same. And they can bring home sheets of plywood themselves, while the Tesla driver just hires somebody with a pickup truck (diesel powered of course) to deliver it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Carrying sheets of plywood seems to be important in most metropolitan areas of late.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

And in a pinch, when Mom's ute is in the shop she can borrow Dad's King Cab and take the whole brood to soccer/ballet/cello practice.
    Without even taking the lawnmower out of the bed.

Can you get a cello (and three kids) into a Model 3, I wonder?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: Andrew Palfreymana socially responsible vehicle
    Ha! Brillint! Very droll.

(I am giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming that you were deliberately being ironic. If you were serious though, did the Kool-Aid taste nice?)
    • CommentAuthorthehard

Remember when the future of electric cars was all about letting your vehicle work alone as a self driving taxi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Still is if you believe E. Musk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2020

Always will be.