Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2020

Well, there's a lot of ground in the US left to be covered. This is going to stretch on and on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorterry1094

A lot closer than any damned 2.4%
    •  
      CommentAuthorterry1094
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2020 edited

If you consider the difference between the Chinese health care system and that of Italy, it's not much of a freakin' extrapolation to believe their death rate was the claimed 15.6%. Get out of denial.

(dere be crocks in dere)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The usual explanation is the age demographic. I saw a very nice map in the Guardian before this all happened showing which areas of Europe had more old people and which more young. This was in connection with brain drain within Europe. Without doubt Italy and Spain were outliers in having an aged population. Which correlates pretty well with what is happening with covid-19.
    •  
      CommentAuthorterry1094

Like it said before...just wait...time will tell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorterry1094

Watch out for the crocks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Yes indeed. The whole problem is embodied in a system with a time constant of about three weeks. We are not used to waiting any more for such slow results.
    Of the 5 deaths reported so far in Bexar County, all were female, 2 were in the 40-49 age bracket and one 80-89.

26 percent of positive cases are in the 40-49 age bracket, followed by 18 percent 20-29.

140 confirmed cases and 5 deaths. Nearly 3.6 percent, if I haven't misplaced another damned decimal.
    The problem with large-number statistics, like in SETI cosmology, is that the numbers just aren't large enough.

The problem with small-number statistics, like in the early stages of a pandemic, is that the numbers just aren't small enough.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: alsetalokinOf the 5 deaths reported so far in Bexar County, all were female, 2 were in the 40-49 age bracket and one 80-89.

26 percent of positive cases are in the 40-49 age bracket, followed by 18 percent 20-29.

Chances are all of them had underlying conditions.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2020 edited

Posted By: BigOilRep
    Posted By: alsetalokinOf the 5 deaths reported so far in Bexar County, all were female, 2 were in the 40-49 age bracket and one 80-89.

Chances are all of them had underlying conditions.

Absolutely, and I can guess what they most probably are. And so can you. But the charts don't list that information, unfortunately. (obesity, diabetes, and add heart disease just for grins)

But we are seeing reports from the hot zones in other states of young people, apparently in good and even robust health, succumbing. And medical personnel too, who would be getting the very best care available I should think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: alsetalokinmedical personnel too, who would be getting the very best care available I should think.

And probably heavy doses of infection to begin with, followed by medical care that may not be all that great considering the situation.
    Texas and Georgia have similar total cases and rates of increase and have had for a long time -- a couple of days. Yet Georgia's death count is over twice that of Texas's, and likewise has been so for a long time. Why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

It's weird. I have been trying to figure out why Australia's is about one third of Canada's, with similar cultures, infection rates, etc. I was going to put it down to climate, but Georgia and Texas must have pretty much the same climate.
    Posted By: Angus
    Posted By: alsetalokinmedical personnel too, who would be getting the very best care available I should think.

And probably heavy doses of infection to begin with, followed by medical care that may not be all that great considering the situation.

Yes, and may also keep working through milder symptoms instead of getting treated early, if that even matters. These people are real heroes, fighting an invisible enemy with near-perfect stealth characteristics and a significant enough death rate to be ... concerning.
    I'm not sure we have climate in Texas. It's all pretty much just weather, and at times it can be pretty large, but it doesn't last long.
    I mean if you can wear Hawaiian shirts at Christmas and have ice storms in late March... what kind of "climate" is that?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Krickel-krackel-land!
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: alsetalokinAbsolutely, and I can guess what they most probably are. And so can you. But the charts don't list that information, unfortunately. (obesity, diabetes, and add heart disease just for grins)

Oof, the South is going to have some horrible numbers, then.

I recall a tenant of mine, way back when, who had members of his family from Louisiana join him for a weekend. The amount of food they barbecued up would have choked a horse. When they piled into his 70's Olds landyacht, they nearly bottomed out the springs. I thought to myself, "there's some early mortality walking there".
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Another reason that the South is in real trouble

Checked the live feed earlier--the place was packed.