Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2021 edited

I found some white grease in my malfunctioning nektarusbkeyboard before i dumpstered it for good.
    My attention-span/patience seems to degrade with age.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2021

Posted By: AsterixKryTech Finish Line

Boeshield T-9

Alternatively, you can remove your chain and boil it in a mixture of paraffin wax and light (e.g. sewing machine) oil.

Any of the above works well and keeps the chain pretty clean.

Well, you did ask...

And thanks, again.
    !
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

I only used paraffin to quieten the screeching generator belt of ICE cars. Interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2021

Posted By: AngusFrom the much abused J.K.Rowling. Worth reading.
    https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j-k-rowling-writes-about-her-reasons-for-speaking-out-on-sex-and-gender-issues/

Ill informed & grotesque fear mongering. I nearly vomited.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Ha. Well, I see what you mean about fearmongering. Her concern over what goes on in bathrooms was a bit much. Nevertheless I found it a good introduction to issues about which I confess I am not particularly informed. It did move me to read the Wiki article on the Gender Recognition Act in the UK. That seems to me to be a laudable effort to recognise that transgender people are people and have the rights of people. (It is interesting that it seems to be based on EU ideas that the UK had to adopt. Tells you something more about Brexiters, maybe.)

The issue that started the Rowling row was about whether trangender women are women. That seems more nuanced than making sure that transgender people do not suffer any discrimination on account of their decision to change gender. It seems really to be a question of language, as your mechanic-philosopher also recognised. As far as I can see the GRA makes transgender women, legally, women. They are treated as women in all respects by the law. But it does not make them actually women, any more than the recognition of corporations as people makes corporations actually people. So in that sense I think Rowling is correct. New language is required. I also think that since actual women had dibs on the word, it is the trans-women who need a new term. Referring to the originals as "menstruating women" does seem offensive.

The operating principle, surely, should be that people can do what they want to as long as it doesn't interfere with others' rights to do the same. Because sex, as you say, is a pretty basic aspect of our society sex can lead to problems if it becomes malleable. It seems entirely reasonable to me that the veto in the GRA was removed so that a spouse could no longer prevent the other spouse from changing gender. But I didn't see any mention of the idea that a change of gender would be considered as sufficient grounds for divorce if the other spouse wanted that. Since the status of the marriage would be unaffected by the change of gender it seems reasonable to spell out that a person need not be forced into a situation different from what was agreed to. Details, details I know ...much simpler in repressive societies.

As for my jokes, I still defend them. Nowhere did I belittle transgender people. I made fun of the language they and others use in talking about these issues. I don't see that it invalidates or opposes anything that is being said. It may deflate the way it is being said, but that might be a good thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2021

Posted By: AngusThe operating principle, surely, should be that people can do what they want to as long as it doesn't interfere with others' rights to do the same. Because sex, as you say, is a pretty basic aspect of our society sex can lead to problems if it becomes malleable.

Her vile attack is predicated on the orthodoxy of sex; that an arbitrary collection of properties evaluated at birth defines your sex and that there are two sexes. This is how you make your "but it does not actually make them women" assertion.

This is unsupportable; anyone setting out their required properties will run into an issue; there are babies born who will not meet either criteria. There is a further issue highlighted by the fact that in many cases; you, JKR, Dawkins etc, actually use terms "men" and "women". These are not properties that are assigned at birth since they describe the adult form. You are not born a man. Prior to the assertion of the current scientific orthodoxy, to become a man was effectively a social ritual. Long ago it might have been associated with hunting and the first kill, intercourse etc. Denial of manhood or womanhood was used to socially ostracise adults.

JKR perches on the current 'scientific' orthodoxy and reaches for anecdote and bogeymen to build a case against trans people; from the "they are young people being abused and force fed hormones against their better interests" to "they are a danger to 'real women' " if they are allowed to share the same rest room. The former ignores that so many denied treatment don't just grow out of it, they suicide. The latter is desperate conflation of trans people with perverts and criminals. It's an old trick - not long ago (in these parts) the trope was that homosexuals were paedophiles and if they are allowed to exist at all, must be kept away from children.

For trans people, your operating principle simply does not exist. It is not possible to just 'choose' to assert you are not what your birth certificate says you are. You can't just one day fill in a passport application and say - hey, I know what, I'm going to identify myself as X when your BC says Y. It can be done, but it is not a simple choice and it is not just your choice. It is a choice that can be denied you.

Because sex, as you say, is a pretty basic aspect of our society sex can lead to problems if it becomes malleable.

The problems are largely 'made up', sorting them involves nothing more than breaking social taboo, much of which is wrapped around misogynistic discrimination and bigotry. We don't sell slaves as breeding stock, so the utility of determining sex at birth as an aid to function is not in the domain of anyone but the individual concerned. We don't need new language, we need to better understand the language we use.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/18/dozens-arrested-in-los-angeles-as-anti-trans-protest-outside-spa-turns-violent

Although I joined (a bit) in the banter above, I have to agree with pcstru. It's one thing for my partner and I, between ourselves, to express some sadness at the need to use the impersonal "they" and "them" and "their" when referring to our daughter -- er, our child, but given the absurd lengths right wing bigots go to abuse trans people, it doesn't help matters to mock (in effect, if not intent) their struggle to be recognized as who they are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Thanks oak. I don't know about others but I know you have experience in the matter.

"Anti-trans violence" riots are for me a new phenomenon - though obviously individuals have suffered individually. I have difficulty imagining how or why one would start. There are evidently new evils afoot in the world.

I shall bow out of the discussion. I have not been convinced that it is ever a bad idea to poke fun at pomposity, ritual, jargon and so on. But I shall not poke fun at this particular brand of it here any more.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2021

(1040 km)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2021

(1330 km)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2021

(1550 km)

Computer throws errors at me 08, 21 and 37(undocumented). Also comes up while in support level 0, when the motor is not even running.
    Seems it can be resolved by wiggling the cabling.
    Motor is sometimes annoyingly loud. (Seems also related to cabling)

Had to adjust the transmission which is pretty tedious and unintuitive without a proper stand.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTime3 days ago edited

(2050km / 1273ml-foot)
    Never pedal into the blue screen of death