Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2020

Not in Germany. You can make, but not drive. On public roads, at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2020 edited

Posted By: pcstruYes, having everyone wanting to overtake you is dangerous compared to being able to keep up. I had a nice little CG125 and it was great. I really need another (but I tend to go for 600's).

If there weren't those stupid regulations I'd probably go for a 250 2-stroke whatever.

A funny (not so funny) side note: I somehow thought (for the last 20+ years) that I wasn't entitled to drive a 50ccm moped. Only now after the deregulation(re 125) I've read my FÜHRERSCHEIN and had to slap my forehead. It looks like I am not allowed to drive 7.5 tonned vehicles unleast they are limited to 3.5 tons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Why is an electric bicycle different from a manual bicycle in Germany? Can you not ride a manual bicycle on the roads in Germany?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: goatcheezWhy is an electric bicycle different from a manual bicycle in Germany? Can you not ride a manual bicycle on the roads in Germany?

It is motorized and therefore regularized, ridiculed, regulated. It makes sense but it also is an annoyance for non law-abident co-citizens like part-time-me. It is complicated.

Upside: You don't have to fear that some lunatic 'invented' a pedestrian-shredding stand-your-ground vehicle (Chopper).
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Our laws must cover the lowest imaginable common denominatrix.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

Surely, there is some limitation to what defines motorized? If you have a 10 Watt boost electric drive, is that considered motorized?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Of course you can in theory build whatever you want and even try and get road certification for what ever your mind cranks out. But it is complicated.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: goatcheezSurely, there is some limitation to what defines motorized? If you have a 10 Watt boost electric drive, is that considered motorized?

Anything except of Rückenwind is considered motorized.
    But, I wonder how TourDeFrancey body modifications are handled. I don't know as much as I don't really care, TBH.
    Posted By: AngusAh. Nostalgia for the days when I rode daily from Wilmersdorf in to HHI on Einsteinufer in Berlin. The bike paths there run on the sidewalk, so it gets interesting.

Long ago, alas.
    Ditto, for my daily commute to MBB Ottobrunn from Arabellahaus, Munich. About 40 minutes each way IIRC and mostly bike paths in the early 80s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2020

Posted By: aber0der
    Posted By: goatcheezWhy is an electric bicycle different from a manual bicycle in Germany? Can you not ride a manual bicycle on the roads in Germany?

It is motorized and therefore regularized, ridiculed, regulated. It makes sense but it also is an annoyance for non law-abident co-citizens like part-time-me. It is complicated.

Upside: You don't have to fear that some lunatic 'invented' a pedestrian-shredding stand-your-ground vehicle (Chopper).

I thought the laws were broadly the same accros the EU, "Pedalecs" (assisted pedal power, no throttle) up to 250W with assist limited to 15mph (after that it stops helping) could be ridden by anyone over the age of 14 pretty much as a normal bicycle.
    Indeed. Aren't all regulations standardised across Europe by faceless grey mandarins in Brussels?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanIndeed. Aren't all regulations standardised across Europe by faceless grey mandarins in Brussels?

Fountain pen heroes, fearless with a feather quill, deadly at 100 yards with a Stainless Steel Parker with italic nib.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

+ahem+! It is no longer acceptable to sneer at our Heroic Bureaucrats inthis post - Capitalist era.
    Do you deny that framed and signed photo of Zuckerberg hanging over your bed?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

That's not Zuckerberg. It's C.P. Snow.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: pcstruOn e-bikes I prefer a crank motor, but that would be more expensive.

I would prefer direct drive over belt/chain drive anytime. I wonder if some kind of clutch that makes the rear gear freewheeling would still trigger the motor.

Unrelated:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTS_uOlIWpc
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2020

Posted By: pcstru
    Posted By: aber0der

I thought the laws were broadly the same accros the EU, "Pedalecs" (assisted pedal power, no throttle) up to 250W with assist limited to 15mph (after that it stops helping) could be ridden by anyone over the age of 14 pretty much as a normal bicycle.

Yes. And you can drive it everywhere(where it is not explicitly prohibited).
    After ca. 80km on that bike and having learned the ins and dont's of the assist I am actually quite happy with the
    bike. Some issues with the overall build quality(some screws are too f-ken small for my taste), but it is fun have a bicycle that almost always rolls downhill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

What range are you getting now?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Almost as advertised, I would say. Still no definitive measurement but so far it looks promising.

At least far more range than I need and my arse can handle.
    Biking is really a pain when you are not used to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2020 edited

After almost a month of ebiking I must say that the range of my calves(and my arse) improved a little bit and the potential range of the bike did too due to my driving habits.

(150 km)