Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2020 edited

Also, too, supermarketing with the eebork feels a lot more safe than sharing a bus with AfD-inspired health/science deniers. And... it is faster, overall.

And cheaper. A daytime ticket costs 6.40 Eurons(+/-ten dollars).
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2020

I thought that transporting a 65Ah lead-acid car battery with a pedelec for over 14 km is not the worst idea I could come up with.

I now believe I was wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2020

Well there's always Elby
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2020

Why can't they have more comfortable saddles?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2020

The latest aber0dometry reading is close to 250km.
    (But transporting a heavy car battery depletes the lion surprisingly fast)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2020 edited

Posted By: pcstruI thought the laws were broadly the same accros the EU, "Pedalecs" (assisted pedal power, no throttle) up to 250W with assist limited to 15mph (after that it stops helping) could be ridden by anyone over the age of 14 pretty much as a normal bicycle.

Yes, 15mph/25kmh is the legal limit. Wattage seems to be a gray zone.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2020

My wife and I were clocked by a state trooper doing 67 mph on our tandem. He wasn't happy, but at least he didn't give us a ticket.
    Good god. That's impressive!!
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2020 edited

It was on Oregon highway 62, coming down to Fort Klamath from Crater Lake. Was really a slog getting up there (97 to 138), but the downhill was a hoot. Near the bottom, we ended up tailgating a bunch of cars.

When you have bike+riders massing somewhere around 400 lbs, with the wind resistance of a single bicycle and the power of 4 legs, your limit is mostly how much nerve you have.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: AsterixMy wife and I were clocked by a state trooper doing 67 mph on our tandem.

Even for a professional on a high end road bike (not a tandem!) that would be considered "very fucking fast". Here's a pro joking not to tell his mother that he hit 119 km/h in the Tour De France:

https://twitter.com/DaanOlivier/status/875084612757839872?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E875084612757839872%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cyclingweekly.com%2Fnews%2Fracing%2Fpros-hit-astonishing-speeds-130kmh-tour-de-suisse-descent-335610

You hit 106 km/h! I can't imagine how terrifying that would be on a tandem (or any bike, come to that).
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2020

I already feel pretty unsafe at 30 km/h.

(But otoh, I was also stopped at least twice by the cops for driving my car 'suspiciously cautious'. )
    ly
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: BigOilRepYou hit 106 km/h! I can't imagine how terrifying that would be on a tandem (or any bike, come to that).

But motorcycles routinely match and exceed this speed.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Posted By: Andrew Palfreymanly

Ja, danke.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: Asterix
    Posted By: BigOilRepYou hit 106 km/h! I can't imagine how terrifying that would be on a tandem (or any bike, come to that).

They tend not to rely on a couple of rubber blocks on the wheel rims for brakes, among many other innovations. 100mph on my little CBR600 always felt quite comfortable; 30mph on any of my bicycles is about as fast as I want them to go - even with disc brakes front and rear.

Some of the e-bikes I see people building are Darwin devices; motorbike performance with weeny push bike parts. It's also very obvious talking to the builders that they don't really understand the relationship between energy and speed.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: Asterix

So do lorries, but I don't really see the comparison.

As I say, even pros consider over 100 km/h very fast, and that is on closed roads with highly maneuverable bikes and professional level skills.

Fastest I've ever done was 70 km/h on a triathlon, and I was crapping it!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

My max. speed was 45 km/h and without a bicycle helmet I won't go much faster.
    I don't see any reason why one should drive faster with a bike bought from ALDI.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: pcstruThey tend not to rely on a couple of rubber blocks on the wheel rims for brakes, among many other innovations. 100mph on my little CBR600 always felt quite comfortable; 30mph on any of my bicycles is about as fast as I want them to go - even with disc brakes front and rear.

Well, the tandem does have both rim and disc brakes, if that helps. On the same trip, we had a front blowout while coming down Dead Indian Road (now Dead Indian Memorial Road) into Ashland, about a 10% grade descending 3000 ft. or so. Using all brakes and muscle, I was able to steer the bike safely to a stop on the road shoulder, where a repair was made. I doubt that a motorcycle could have done much better.

That isn't to say that accidents can't happen. I recall that we were cycling a more-or-less level stretch of road outside of Morgan Hill (California). We made a left turn and immediately went over. My vivid recollection was the stench of motor oil as we slid along--some idiot had dropped a quantity of the stuff in the middle of the intersection. I pulled gravel out of my hide all evening.

For the thousands of miles we put on the tandem, there were no other significant mishaps.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

I wonder why all those 6-legged avionic co-citizens are so fond of flying straight into my eyes.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

They don't pop into my cheeks or chin or forehead. They always go straight for my eyes.