Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2020

Posted By: AsterixMy vivid recollection was the stench of motor oil as we slid along--some idiot had dropped a quantity of the stuff in the middle of the intersection.

Well maybe you should be thankful to him. You can slide a lot smoother on an oiled road, I imagine.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2020

On that trip mentioned above, we'd just made a turn when a yellowjacket (wasp) flew straight into my left ear and let loose with its stinger. I screamed--something I'm not accustomed to doing--and scared the bejeezus out of my wife. That really hurt!
    I'm reminded of that quote from Logan's Run:

"I hate outside; I hate it!"
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2020

Why do those annoying insects always fly straight into my eyes?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Wear some goggles or sunglasses.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2020 edited

Posted By: AsterixWear some goggles or sunglasses.

Yes. but why are those idiot-pilots flying that way.

What another can of wormholes...

I think im cloed down to a rubin alligator. almost.

Sunglasses it is. Maybe a pair of aviators?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The insects will just get into +their+ eyes.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Yesterday the computator estimated a range of 120ish with half(75%) a load.
    But my gut tells me that the range is closer to 69.73km per charge.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

What do I know...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: AsterixWell, the tandem does have both rim and disc brakes, if that helps. On the same trip, we had a front blowout while coming downDead Indian Road(now Dead IndianMemorialRoad) into Ashland, about a 10% grade descending 3000 ft. or so. Using all brakes and muscle, I was able to steer the bike safely to a stop on the road shoulder, where a repair was made. I doubt that a motorcycle could have done much better.

I'd bet quite large sums of money a properly maintained sports 600 would do much better in terms of stopping distance than the tandem. From large dual disk brakes & pads on the front dissipating heat to the quality of the rubber on the tyres, all are designed to routinely stop the machine from 100mph+ speeds quickly and safely, even in the wet. I'd guess the tandems dual braking system was a safety for redundancy - it would need fairly constant adjustment to keep both working optimally together, the hope would be when one fails the other is still viable (and in the wet, hopefully the blocks don't stop the disks from being top stop dog). I'd not like to see what happens if one was suddenly subject to the full force of an emergency stop at speed with two fully grown adults on board. If the bike was routinely subject to that, it would either be certain to break quite quickly or your maintenance schedule would involve a tear down every ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Plus the issue that a motorcycle is usually not asked to deal with 400 pounds of rider.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: AngusPlus the issue that a motorcycle is usually not asked to deal with 400 pounds of rider.

Not sure about that. Personally me and my pillion of the time would not be that heavy but all up, the bike + me + pillion would be well in excess of that. But, that is part of the expected load and the machine is designed to take all that well past the normal speeds pedal bikes are designed to deal with as normal.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

I'd love to work out the stopping distance for a tandem doing 106 km/h downhill. Assuming a 1s reaction time, you've already gone 30m by the time you even apply the brakes. It's difficult to see it being much less than 100m overall...but shirley you engineer guys can have a stab at a proper calculation.

I suspect your brakes will literally be smoking by the time you come to a stop as well, something that won't happen on a motorbike.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I take your point, but we did it and we're still here.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2020 edited

Posted By: AsterixI take your point, but we did it and we're still here.

I suspect we can all say the same thing! I've definitely done similar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

The admonishment from moletrap is Don't Do It Again. We like having you around.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Better safe than not at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: BigOilRepI'd love to work out the stopping distance for a tandem doing 106 km/h downhill. Assuming a 1s reaction time, you've already gone 30m by the time you even apply the brakes. It's difficult to see it being much less than 100m overall...but shirley you engineer guys can have a stab at a proper calculation.

I suspect your brakes will literally be smoking by the time you come to a stop as well, something that won't happen on a motorbike.

Stopping distance ... too complex.

Heat : my numbers say if you instantly dump the energy of 400lbs doing 30mph into steel (16kJ), a CBR600 will have 3.4kg of metal to play with and you might raise the temp ~10 deg c. A push bike with large chunky disks (250g each end) might be up 75 deg c. At 60mph (65kJ) the CBR is warming up the metal 45 deg c, while the pedal bike is up 300 deg C. In reality you won't instantly dump energy and disks are good at dissipating heat quite quickly and the smaller disks have some advantage there. On the downside, more of the load will be going through the front disk/s and they are still going to be horribly hot on the pedal bike - potentially into regimes which start to alter important properties of the material.

It is the kind of thing you get away with until you don't. If you were doing it every day it is either going to be very expensive on parts and time consuming maintenance, or it is probably going to hurt and sooner rather than later.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Tandems are certainly more rigid than conventional bikes.
    At least if they are not made during a DUI/DIY welding exercise.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Our tandem was designed and built by a guy whose daytime job was building bridges for CalTrans. He ran simulations on the design on his department's mainframe. It's rigid enough that track stands are easy. We call it "heavy metal".

Tango tandems