Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2018

If they die, from which does society suffer the greater loss?

Good canaries, IMO.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Personally, I'd send politicians, bureaucrats and the evangelical religious.

Given the choice between the guy who cleans out my septic tank every few years and the local TV preacher, there isn't much of a contest.
    Well... look at it this way. Scientists can do art, if the spirit moves them. But the artist who can "do science" is pretty rare.

Another way of looking at it is that art depends on science for all kinds of things. Materials, instruments, gadgetry... consider for example filmmaking, perhaps the most scientific of the arts. On the other hand, science doesn't depend on art in any comparable kind of way. However, science which incorporates art undeniably enriches our world. Architecture is one example of such an incorporation, although one might argue that it is not science but rather its red-headed stepchild engineering which melds with art in architecture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Some are neither and both. e.g.: mathematics...
    Posted By: alsetalokinWell... look at it this way. Scientists can do art, if the spirit moves them. But the artist who can "do science" is pretty rare.
    And is the reason a polymath generally takes a science education.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

My architect roommate used to spend hours shading cubes with a pencil while I folded gliders and flew them out the 5th floor dorm window.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2018

Posted By: pcstru
    Posted By: aber0derAlso wonderfully idiotic.

I wonder if there is really anything to distinguish it in terms of idiocy from sending scientists and engineers?

Probably not, engineers and scientists could also only watch out of the windows and vomit on their luggage.
    Peristaltic pumps don't work in a vacuum.

(says a fortune cookie from a Chinese restaurant in Palo Alto)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2018

Bullshit. Or rather Astronaut Shit.
    Posted By: aber0derProbably not, engineers and scientists could also only watch out of the windows and vomit on their luggage.
    I don't think people vomit on their luggage much
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2018

But does the quantity really matter? ...
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2018 edited

The Trumpists could use their trumpet and the landscapers could just bury it, rake it underneath the top soil or something.

But the violinists have to re-tune their small guitar replicas once they filled it with partially digested walmart merchandise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2019 edited

NASA needs to get out of the launch vehicle business.

NASA is in the midst of a political battle for the Europa Clipper spacecraft’s launch contract, which is currently legally obligated to launch on NASA’s SLS rocket. Said rocket will likely cost on the order of >$2 billion per launch, meaning that simply using Falcon Heavy or Delta IV Heavy could save no less than ~$1.5 billion. Incredibly, that means that simply using a commercial launch vehicle could save NASA enough money to fund an entire Curiosity-sized Mars rover or even a majority of the cost of building a dedicated Europa lander. Such a launch would demand every ounce of Falcon Heavy’s performance, including a very long orbital coast.

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-surprise-falcon-9-drone-ship-landing-explained/
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2019

But you need gravity assist, so a much longer mission?
    If time is money, space is very very rich.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2019

Space-time even more so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2020 edited

The next Falcon 9 rocket will experience an intentional rapid scheduled disassembly to test the Dragon abort system.

R.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2020

Back in the saddle again. SpaceX successfully tests Dragon escape system.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

I never get to blow things up in my job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Well done! They are impressive.
    That multiparachute rig looks a little scary.