Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2020

What do you think?
    (In the late 80's IIRC Archimedes was on my shortlist of next gen hardware)

I think it is a burden on the devs and consumers with no obvious benefit.
    The whole inhousing everything is AFAIK a first for Apple.
    Hackintoshes are probably not as easy to build as they are now.
    And OpenSource software projects will be pissed, too.
    Crapitalism.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Apple already owns an ARM license and is turning out custom CPUs for its mobile gear, so why stay with Intel?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Compatibility and convenience for OSS comes to mind, also continuity and other minor things I didn't think of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Apple seems to have been instrumental in developing ARM processors since the Acorn beginning.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2020 edited

Posted By: AngusApple seems to have been instrumental in developing ARM processors since the Acorn beginning.

Like they strongARMed them into making Archimedes a failure?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

I wouldn't put it past Steve.
    • CommentAuthorthehard

The thing is Intel hasn’t been able to evolve in 5-10 years. The can’t make 10nm processors while ARMs are beginning to come out in 5nm. An ipad has a more efficient processor than most laptops. The real question is why wouldn’t they.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Dunno--Intel seems to have been in the doldrums for several years now. I doubt that the Apple move will significantly affect their bottom line.

For years, I've been using AMD CPUs for my x86 gear and have been slowly spinning off a lot of tasks to ARM-centric devices.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    • CommentAuthorthehard

I hate to side with Apple on this, but it is broken. With a proper implementation of AMR technology I would probably work twice as fast.