Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2020 edited

I had the 4th leak(in 5 years) in the warm water circuit of my apartment this week.

(3 appartments, all leaks in my loop, one common central heater/pump/circuit)

All leaks appeared in the middle of nowhere, no failed fittings/couplings, always somewhere random in the middle of a stretch of copper tubing.

Image ©2020 'aberoder' / copper tubing leak fixed with bicycle parts

Why does this always happen to me/my stretch of the circuit? Any ideas?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2020

What's your water quality like? With alkaline water, service life of copper pipe can exceed 100 years. Acidic water, not so much.

We had the septic tank pumped out a couple of weeks ago--we do it as part of regular maintenance every 10 years. When checking for flow, nothing coming from the house. Sewage was going somewhere. The techs came and ran a camera down the line from the cleanout near the septic tank. They discovered that a coupling had split sometime and the wastewater had excavated a sizeable cavern (you could easily stand up in it) underground. No one seems to know where the waste water ended up--there was no water in the void. Repair the coupling, truck in a couple of yards of crushed rock and then the topsoil and all is well.

Moving that rock up a 10% grade in a wheelbarrow was fun. Still don't know where the sewage wound up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Any suggestions most welcome, Angus will pay for the best one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

In the ocean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2020

Very doubtful unless he lives on a Seastead.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Thanks. I still wonder what I'm missing.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

If you're using municipal water, find out if it's treated with chloramine--that does eat away at copper and results in pinholes.

Maybe you can have your section replaced with PEX.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

That's exactly MY problem. It only, seemingly, affects my part of the building. And at a most annoying frequency.
    So my first three questions would be:
    -What could be wrong (in oppo of the 2 other apartments)
    -How or who?
    -How fix it?

I certainly run out of bicycle parts, soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2020 edited

Tiny sheet-metal screws, and Permatex.

That will get you by long enough to sue your landlord.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2020 edited

Where on the hot water circuit, relative to the boiler are you? Could it be that you're early and taking all the abuse?

One thing's certain--pinhole leaks in a pipe do not occur in isolation. Sooner or later, you'll have more. I'm assuming that the same pipe was used throughout the system and that the length in your apartment isn't just an example of bad manufacturing.
    Posted By: Asterixthe hot water circuit

I thought they used on-demand water heaters in civilized countries. No central boiler or what we have down here: "Hot Water Heaters" ?
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: aber0derAny ideas?

Have you thought about seasteading?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Posted By: alsetalokinI thought they used on-demand water heaters in civilized countries. No central boiler or what we have down here: "Hot Water Heaters" ?

Sometimes the water is used for general heating as well, so a central boiler makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2020

Posted By: Asterix
    Posted By: alsetalokinI thought they used on-demand water heaters in civilized countries. No central boiler or what we have down here: "Hot Water Heaters" ?

Sometimes the water is used for general heating as well, so a central boiler makes sense.

I have a power-wall sized gas heater for 3 appartments- It's 1x.5x.4m, not much bigger than a pair standard military fuel canisters. There's an (estimated) 140l warm water reservoir.
    On demand (electrical) would be too expensive.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2020 edited

Posted By: BigOilRep
    Posted By: aber0derAny ideas?

Have you thought about seasteading?

I did. And I seasteaded my neighbors.
    Their enthusiasm was not too great.
    Waterworld was a great movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2020

Posted By: AsterixWhat's your water quality like?

With alkaline water, service life of copper pipe can exceed 100 years. Acidic water, not so much.
    We had the septic tank pumped out a couple of weeks ago--we do it as part of regular maintenance every 10 years. When checking for flow, nothing coming from the house. Sewage was going somewhere. The techs came and ran a camera down the line from the cleanout near the septic tank. They discovered that a coupling had split sometime and the wastewater had excavated a sizeable cavern (you could easily stand up in it) underground. No one seems to know where the waste water ended up--there was no water in the void. Repair the coupling, truck in a couple of yards of crushed rock and then the topsoil and all is well.

Moving that rock up a 10% grade in a wheelbarrow was fun. Still don't know where the sewage wound up.

Water is AFAIK relatively neutral; tastes good. Much better than the sewage they pump into homes in Hamburg-Winterhude.

The house is about 50 years old. the leaking parts are about 20yrs by now.
    There must be something one can do, a standard procedure, to prevent this pinhole leaking.
    Burying a zinc atheist on holy ground?
    IDK.
    Electricity. Anodic or cathodic anticorrosion protection. If you can find a zinc atheist, bury her.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2020 edited

Maybe electrically bridging/grounding/(shorting, if there's potential) the three copper pipes could slow the build up of pinholery slow down a bit. ?
    Posted By: aber0derI seasteaded my neighbors.
    That's probably legal in Florida