Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2021

We forgive you as long as you didn't read it.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2021

Got about a third of the way in and decided it was hopeless. Never did finish it.

The title fascinated me--I was expecting something like "The Dancing Wu-Li Masters", which is a very entertaining book, particularly for its time (1979).
    Posted By: AsterixI'm a bit ashamed that I actually purchasedhis book.
    Probably caught you at a weak moment. It's much worse in my case, because I bought Wolfram's massive tome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2021 edited

Posted By: Andrew Palfreymanbought Wolfram's massive tome.

So did I, and I read it!
    Actually there's a lot of interesting stuff there as long as you don't take it as portentous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2021

I noticed that we had occasion during the Steorn times to establish the concept of a "bespoke experiment", which is one designed to give the desired result. There seems no to be some basis for identifying a "bespoke theory", which is one designed around an arbitrary, unsuppored postulate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

To be fair to sonoboy let's put the shoe on the other foot. What would it take to convince us that the external universe is a construct of our own consciousness.

Right now I can't think of anything.
    The fact that a person's death does not change the reality of others is clearly insufficient.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

But those persons are just simulations. It's what my death would do to reality that I have to be concerned with. Could it all really go on without me?
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Awakening from anaesthesia suggests that it does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2021 edited

Not if I think it all up again as I awake. But wait...I think I see your point. I must have imagined being anaesthetised and unable to imagine myself. So where did I come ctom.
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Something like that. Even more brutally, being rendered unconscious by a severe blow to the head doesn’t sit well with the hypothesis either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: AngusTo be fair to sonoboy let's put the shoe on the other foot. What would it take to convince us that the external universe is a construct of our own consciousness.

Right now I can't think of anything.

I suspect the problem may come down to what exactly do you mean by "the external universe"? The question pre-supposes a disjoint, so seems already to have planted it's feet in existentialist territory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

It all becomes academic if there is but a single consciousness with dendrites that are unaware of their source.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Well yes, or if we are all part of a great cheese, say the mouldy bits. Extremely academic then but ... err ... also quite tasty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

No matter how you slice it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

We can call it the "Num-Num Theory of Everything". Who's going to give the TED talk?
    Posted By: goatcheezIt all becomes academic if there is but a single consciousness with dendrites that are unaware of their source.
    You keep those dendrites away from me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

PKD
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2021

IF YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO DESTROY THE UNIVERSE, I AM SO FUCKING OUT OF HERE!"
    - Knuckles O'Toole