Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2021

Posted By: AngusIt's a long way from philosophy, really.

Nothing is a long way from philosophy, even a dogs breakfast.

Those kind of click bait headlines are just differentiation - how do I make mine look different and catch a passing mind. Success breeds mimicry - "ooo, look what's working for them" or "I like that, I think I'll try and look like/be more like what I like". Anything genuinely new like the internet & spin-off's, need new words - "internet". The thing that is the internet has accelerated and widened the spread of words, ideas and cultural idioms - something I hope you are "all right" with. Words themselves can't do anything other than 'connect with' mental states. If those mental states want to focus on the 'real world' and focus other minds on the same mental states that represent that, they start talking about physics.

All I see is fashions changing. I can't see a shift from 'concrete observations' (outside of science I'm not sure what that really means) to 'abstraction'. The Zeitgeist of western consciousness seems to me to be firmly planted in the metaphysical world - people look to science as our saviour with all the answers. When you tell them tables don't exist, they look at you all funny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2021

Posted By: pcstruSuccess breeds mimicry - "ooo, look what's working for them"

Posted By: pcstruWords themselves can't do anything other than 'connect with' mental states.

Posted By: pcstruAll I see is fashions changing.

So far we are saying the same thing.

Posted By: pcstruI can't see a shift from 'concrete observations' to 'abstraction'.

Well, that was my proposal. Seems to have fallen flat here.

The Zeitgeist of western consciousness seems to me to be firmly planted in the metaphysical world - people look to science as our saviour with all the answers.

Er...I'd say that would be true as long as "science' is telling them what they want to hear.

When you tell them tables don't exist, they look at you all funny.

...looks all funny at pcstru.