Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2021 edited

I note that Germany is returning the Benin Bronzes looted by British soldiers in 1897.

What can we expect similar announcements from the British Museum?

Or is it a matter of "we stole it fair and square"?
    You mean like returning land to the native peoples?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2021

I suspect the British Museum would be happy to return priceless African artefacts stolen by German soldiers.

BTW it seems that the British soldiers sold them off and they are to be found in museums in several places including the USA. The other thing we should expect is more museums announcing the return of Benin bronzes.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2021 edited

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanYou mean like returning land to the native peoples?

Well, that's happening to a small degree: Grauniad article.

On the other hand, "Indian Gaming" has proved to be a good way to claw back some of the lucre from the white man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrowler
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2021

Posted By: AngusI suspect the British Museum would be happy to return priceless African artefacts stolen by German soldiers.

BTW it seems that the British soldiers sold them off and they are to be found in museums in several places including the USA. The other thing we should expect is more museums announcing the return of Benin bronzes.

I worked with someone in London (who shall remain nameless) in the very early part of this century who had a Benin bronze 'death mask' just sitting on his mantlepiece. He had previously worked as an auctioneer and antiques dealer in Scandinavia and when I asked him if it was worth anything - he just laughed and said "To the right people, a fortune..."
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2021

Apparently, the BM has the largest collection in the world.