Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010

Posted By: loreman"The atoms that make up my body can only be in one place, the ones that make up the moon might be of the same type but they are not the same ones."

As I understand it, out there on the fringes of respectable physics, this idea is contested.

I've never heard it expressed that way for whole atoms, but I suppose it follows if you were to accept the "there is only one electron" type posit. However, even there the positional identity remains. Either there is one electron with a large set of positional properties, or there are a large number of electrons with individual positional properties. The positional aspect of the electron manifesting on the moon is different that that which is manifesting in my body.

Posted By: enginerdI think also contested, is the question as to whether the universe can "exist" without observers.

Maybe in some philosophical models but it's not very hotly contested in the standard model, otherwise there would be no need for big bang, the universe would have popped into existence with the first conscious mind (which is simply a different end point to the "what caused that" question).
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: legendre
    Posted By: joshs
    Posted By: AngusThe universe told me that if there are no observers it goes round the back for a smoke. What's the point anyway?
    If a hydrino falls in the forest and no one there is to market it as free energy, does it make a profit?

Only if it's been close to a tri-filar wound coil. Those multi-filar windings are the secret sauce, and even YOU can smell the gain.

Or maybe that's the bleach I spilled downstairs, this morning. The stuff really gets around.
    Trifilar is so yesterday's free energy. Recent developments at Panacea University indicate a promise of potential of interesting results in the not so distant future using pentafilar Litz windings, skewed at an exact but as yet unknown angle on alternate Tuesdays.
    Ah...Litz wire and the craziness of Free Energy.

I know of a certain esteemed organization which possesses spool after multi-pound spool of Litz wire in many different gauges. There must be a hundred miles of Litz wire back there....just waiting for that special application.
    "oh no don't use that Litz wire we're saving that"...

But in 8 years that I know about, approximately none of it has been used, for anything.

Well, somebody strung up a hundred feet of it one time as a crystal radio's antenna....
    • CommentAuthorenginerd

Yes, popped into existence, not with the first conscious mind but with the first conscious observation (just like the dead cat).

And is there really a "standard" model these days?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: enginerdYes, popped into existence, not with the first conscious mind but with the first conscious observation (just like the dead cat).

And is there really a "standard" model these days?

It reminds me of an answer somebody once gave me to the question of when a human life begins (in a discussion about abortion).

At detection.

It makes sense, because as soon as somebody detects a pregnancy, he/she has acquired the moral question of what can/should/must ethically be done about that, irrespective of whether his/her answer has already been given by some politico/religious stance or other.

As to the standard model, it certainly exists as a standard, and there is uniform agreement that it is not right.
    For me, life usually begins around 10:30 am, when the coffee finally kicks in and I can focus both eyeballs on the same subject.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbloodymedia
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010 edited

Reminds me of an old joke:

A priest, a minister and a rabbi discuss the begginning of life.
    The priest says: "We believe life begins at conception."
    The minister: "We believe that life begins at birth."
    The rabbi replies: "We believe that life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies."
    I think I know that rabbi. She runs the Reform synagogue down the street, next to the Esperanto Unitarian meeting hall.
    • CommentAuthorenginerd
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010

excellent