Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2021

Here is an excerpt from a text for operators of wastewater plants in the USA.
    ...Therefore if you are given a volume in cubic feet, gallons, acre-feet or some other unit, you must convert to million gallons. The same holds true for flow rates. If you are given a flow rate in cubic feet per second, gallons per minute, acre-feet per year or some other unit, you must convert to million gallons per day.

I imagine the students in their MAGA hardhats proudly resisting the SI system and all its foreign entanglements
    wankers
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2021 edited

Most US engineers that I know work in both imperial and metric interchangeably. Think of it as US guys are metrologically bilingual. We know a 1/4-20 bolt from a 6M1 one.

Don't have a 1/2" wrench?--try a 13 mm one, it might be a loose fit, but it'll probably work (as an example). I own an older (made in Canada) Ford F150--you'd better have both metric and Imperial wrenches to work on the thing. It's pretty maddening at times.

I've long thought it interesting that the lead pitch of many IC packages and connectors, etc. is specified as 2.54mm; (0.1 inch) to this very day. Socket wrenches take square drivers of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2", which hasn't changed at all.

I recall a friend who worked for Lockheed (when it was still LMSC) demonstrating an orbital mechanics package he'd written. Input for mass was in units of slugs. I was dumbfounded--surely such high technology would have converted to metric ages ago--nope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2021

In the initial conversion here we had several problems. You just have to stick with it and join the nineteenth century. Despite remnants of Imperial (and US) units persisting in things like aviation and screw threads and peanut butter jars, SI is a far far far better way to measure things and lets you get on with doing whatever it is you are supposed to be doing.