Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2018

"In Nashville they eat their young and then expect them to reproduce."

Stephen Merritt
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2018

... proving again that some people have more money than sense.

("More dollars than cents" doesn't really translate well into other currencies, I guess.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2018

It was restored by the same woman who did this.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2018

Posted By: goatcheezIt was restored by the same woman who didthis.

I knew it reminded me of something. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2018

Chinese netizens slam police for not arresting man filmed touching daughter inappropriately on train

A 30-year-old man was caught touching his 5-year-old daughter aggressively on a high-speed rail ride in Guangzhou.

In a video clip filmed by a fellow passenger, he was seen lifting her blouse, caressing her back and kissing her face repeatedly. The man even slid a hand into the child's pants at one point in time.

All this happened while his wife and mother-in-law were sitting next to him.

The girl's attempts to push him away were futile. Despite the child saying "Daddy, I'm in pain. Stop touching my bottom," the women continued to use their mobile phones and did nothing to stop the man's wandering hands.

Disturbed by what she saw, the passenger made a police report on the alleged molestation and sent the video clip to a local newspaper on Oct 28 in hopes that the lecherous man would be punished.

After the news made its rounds online, the police investigated the case but its response shocked Chinese netizens.

In a statement on Wednesday (Oct 31), the police confirmed that the man and girl in the video clip are indeed father and child, and determined that the man's actions did not constitute sexual assault.

If he's doing that to her in public... what is he doing to her at home in private?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2018 edited

Posted By: alsetalokinIf he's doing that to her in public... what is he doing to her at home in private?

It is an appalling example of the bystander effect.

People who abuse children often go to great lengths to convince the children that what they are doing to them is normal, and also to convince them that nobody cares about them and that there is nobody to whom they can turn to for help. I suspect that his very public display was intended to reinforce those messages to the child.

"Daddy, I'm in pain. Stop touching my bottom," was a very clear cry for help to her fellow passengers. That nobody seems to have intervened, or to have come to her assistance, or to have challenged her abuser, will have been a psychologically crushing experience for the child, and will have reinforced her abuser's programming in her mind to devastating effect.

More and more of us seem to be "living our lives through social media". Real life increasingly seems to be being perceived, experienced and lived through the lens, and it looks like normal reactions, interactions, outrage and interventions are disappearing from face to face exchanges in real life and instead being undertaken via those social media platforms. I suspect that this phenomenon is massively exacerbating the bystander effect.

I have no problem with the person who took the footage shooting it and documenting it for evidence and making a police report later, but having recorded and safeguarded the evidence, surely the very next order of business should have been to stage some sort of an intervention to try to come to the child's assistance?

I can appreciate her dilemma. It would have been uncomfortable. It would have been difficult. It might have been dangerous. She might have feared for her safety. Recording the footage first was the right and sensible thing to do, but it was not enough. She could have appealed to her fellow passengers for assistance on behalf of the child. She could have gone to the people in charge of the train for assistance.

I am a non-violent pacifist and in general I abhor people taking the law into their own hands, however there are exceptions. Sometime you have to intervene directly. You don't just continue on your train journey glued to your smartphones and tablets, while ignoring the pleas of a five year old child being molested in public by a thirty year old man.

"Daddy, I'm in pain. Stop touching my bottom."

And from her perspective: all of those people all around her. And not one. Not a single one of them. None of them cared that she was in pain. Or that her daddy was touching her like that. Not one.

For shame ...
    There are few things that will get me to punch a person. I would have knocked his teeth out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2018

Groan...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

That can't be serious...

...can it?
    The first use of paper ballots to conduct an election appears to have been in Rome in 139 BC, following the introduction of the lex Gabinia tabellaria.

And yet, despite continuous warnings about hacking, there is little use of paper ballots today.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

We use them.
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2018

Posted By: AngusThat can't be serious...

...can it?

Correct, but cable only.

Almost three out of four U.S. adults (71%) watch local television news and 65% view network newscasts over the course of a month, according to Nielsen data from February 2013. While 38% of adults watch some cable news during the month, cable viewers—particularly the most engaged viewers—spend far more time with that platform than broadcast viewers do with local or network news
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

People still get television over cable ?
    • CommentAuthorBigOilRep

Posted By: AngusPeople still get television over cable ?

Yes? I certainly do. And my internet. Maybe we are talking different things?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2018 edited

"Cutting the cable" has become a thing where I live. Why pay exorbitant fees for stuff you almost certainly alteady get via your network connection?. I cancelled our cable TV service three or four years ago. The internet-hostile Mrs A was aghast at first but now gets irritated when all that is available is old-fashioned cable and its endlessly reprovisioned network shows.