Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorGrowler
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2019

Posted By: AsterixBut potatoes, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, oranges (with the peel) are all fair game for them.

Our two would eat *almost* anything that they'd seen US eat, and almost nothing else (except for their regular diet). For some reason one of them disliked grapes, and the other wasn't keen on uncooked carrots, but they were both retrievers, from the same breeder, same sire, from two different bitches.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

I understand that retrievers have a genetic defect in that they don't stop eating when they're sated--they just keep eating and barf it all up and keep on eating, including the barf.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: GrowlerFor some reason one of them disliked grapes
    Grape and raisin toxicity in dogs
    Let me count the ways
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDTHFXDF9G0

On second thought, you do it.
    And in the meantime, meet members of the 41%
    80,000 without power
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/80000-power-deaths-reported-ohio-tornado/story?id=63314869

Well what's to be expected when you sling power from poles in a third world sort of fashion?
    https://deadline.com/2019/05/netflix-georgia-abortion-law-statement-production-future-ted-sarandos-1202623112/
    "Netflix Would “Rethink Entire Investment In Georgia” If Abortion Law Holds"

Good for you, Netflix.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2019 edited

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman80,000 without power
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/80000-power-deaths-reported-ohio-tornado/story?id=63314869

Well what's to be expected when you sling power from poles in a third world sort of fashion?

Your parochialism is peeking out. Ohio has 116,000 sq km and 10 million people. The UK has 245,000 sq km and nearly 70 million people, or about 3.5 times the population density. Public Service Commission of Wisconsin estimates the cost for constructing underground transmission lines ranges from 4 to 14 times more than overhead lines of the same voltage over the same distance. Cost per customer to bury transmission lines in Ohio compared to UK is therefore somewhere greater than 14 times higher.

And it's worse here, where we have much lower population densities.
    It's a miserable excuse for "the richest country". And in any case, this Heath Robinson shit is ubiquitous - even all over the suburbs of major cities, where the population density is way higher than the mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2019

Whinging subject matter importance scale (WSMIS): 2 out of 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2019

I don't entirely agree with Oak, since I spent two weeks freezing in the dark during the Great Ice Storm of 1999. Here in the balmy southwest wires are customarily buried in new built districts, but on poles on the routes into them. We have a lot of outages here during wind storms because tree branches fall on the feed routes. The problem is always the same - who pays and how much can you get out of him.
    •  
      CommentAuthoroak
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2019

Good point. My comment was directed more toward Andrew's appetite for complaining about yet one more aspect of life in these United States. In this case, how we manage the economics of power distribution.

I don't like to see people go without electric power. But before this country slung power from poles "in a third world sort of fashion," most people lived without it all the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

True. I agree entirely that wires on poles are not an indication of third-world status.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2019 edited

A lot depends on the local geology. The local telco went from buried cable to fiber-strung-on-poles. The reason was that repairs to the buried cable because of shifting soil were getting to be more expensive than simply stringing new cable.

I can imagine that burying and maintaining HV distribution lines in, say, a Florida swamp would be impractical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

This is what I think of as third world pole practice:

• CommentAuthorAsterix

Maybe not as bad as Delhi or Katmandu, but Japan has its messes too:

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus

If the cable is buried how will we know that something similar or worse is lurking out of sight?
    Here's something else that's rotten
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pva3kUU7TS4
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der

Great. I like how they are so transparent and open to the public. Must be the real thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Bearings! Damn!! The curse of the free energy demo is the butter bearing.