Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011

• CommentAuthorsonoboy
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011 edited

Seems like every 5 minutes there's a new solar cell discovery that's not making it to store shelves...
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011 edited

Arxiv Pdf

Today, Marco Bernardi and pals at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge say there is a simple fix that could dramatically increase the performance of photovoltaics. Instead of two dimensional flat panels, Bernadi and co suggest using three dimensional structures.

They've simulated the performance of various shapes and tested several of these on the roof of a building at MIT. Their results indicate that 3D structures can increase the amount of energy that can be generated by a given footprint by as much as 20 times. These structures can also double the number of useful peak hours of generation and reduce seasonal variation to boot.

How 3-D Photovoltaics Could Revolutionize Solar Power
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011 edited

Solar energy found to be more effective through daytime.
    • CommentAuthorWalls

Posted By: aber0derSolar energy found to be more effective through daytime.

Sadly, your link appears not to be working, but then it is shortly after 2 a.m. here, and hence night-time. I'll try again later this morning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: aber0derSolar energy found to be more effective through daytime.

Ha! Good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011

Solar heated salts provide power throughout the night.
    And energy from ambient heat , such as heat pumps work at night, most of the initial heat comes from the sun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: TrimAnd energy from ambient heat , such as heat pumps work at night, most of the initial heat comes from the sun.

Heat pumps are not energy.

Furthermore, they do not produce energy. They use it in order to move heat around.

Furthermore, the phrase "such as heat pumps work at night" makes no sense whatever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Furthermore, they do not produce energy. They use it in order to move heat around.

Where does most of that heat come from? the sun.

Furthermore, the phrase "such as heat pumps work at night" makes no sense whatever.

So you don't use your heat pump at night?

In totally frozen country's like Canada air heat pumps may not be beneficial but ground ones are.

Heat pumps are not energy.

Solar cells are not energy either, they are devices that change and move energy to where people want it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

And energy from ambient heat , such as heat pumps work at night, most of the initial heat comes from the sun.

All right, please explain what "such as" is referring to here. Is it energy? No, because heat pumps are not energy. Is it ambient heat? No, because heat pumps are not ambient heat. Is it work at night? Makes no sense to me.

The only way I can interpret that sentence is that there must be an energy from ambient heat that heat pumps can work in the way that blacksmiths work iron. That also makes no sense to me.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: TrimArxiv Pdf

Today, Marco Bernardi and pals at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge say there is a simple fix that could dramatically increase the performance of photovoltaics. Instead of two dimensional flat panels, Bernadi and co suggest using three dimensional structures.

They've simulated the performance of various shapes and tested several of these on the roof of a building at MIT. Their results indicate that 3D structures can increase the amount of energy that can be generated by a given footprint by as much as 20 times. These structures can also double the number of useful peak hours of generation and reduce seasonal variation to boot.

How 3-D Photovoltaics Could Revolutionize Solar Power
    That headline quote is so fundamentally wrong that it isn't worth looking further.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012

• CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012 edited

That's litle more than a pres release by some guys looking for research funding.

That's little more than a press release by some guys looking for research funding.

That's litttle more than a presss release by some guys looking for research funding.

That's litttle more than a presss release by some guys looking for research funding.

That's little more than a press release by some guys looking for research funding.

That's litle more than a pres release by some guys looking for research funding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012

Better edit that before Angus sees it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorping1400
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012 edited

Just bought a 3.1 kW solar system (20 m2 panels, inverter, cables, construction rails and bolts) for 3600 Euro including tax. With a residential electricity price of 23 cents/kWh my solar system will pay back in 5 years. The panels are guaranteed for 25 years.

Edit: price of solar systems is dropping at redicule tempo, same system did cost 6500 Euro 1.5 year ago. We are reaching almost 1 euro per watt peak system costs. It is expected the system prices will drop another 50% next 5 years.
    • CommentAuthorsonoboy
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012

Posted By: ping1400Just bought a 3.1 kW solar system (20 m2 panels, inverter, cables, construction rails and bolts) for 3600 Euro including tax. With a residential electricity price of 23 cents/kWh my solar system will pay back in 5 years. The panels are guaranteed for 25 years.

Edit: price of solar systems is dropping at redicule tempo, same system did cost 6500 Euro 1.5 year ago. We are reaching almost 1 euro per watt peak system costs. It is expected the system prices will drop another 50% next 5 years.

Hey Great! Now you have something else to be taxed on soon!! I have some laminates myself that I need to install at a second home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012

Posted By: ping1400Just bought a 3.1 kW solar system (20 m2 panels, inverter, cables, construction rails and bolts) for 3600 Euro including tax. With a residential electricity price of 23 cents/kWh my solar system will pay back in 5 years. The panels are guaranteed for 25 years.

What RU using for storage?