Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012

Well half a million New Zealanders work in Oz already and there is a party growing there (NZ) that wants to become part of Oz.
    In my view NZ would would have much more independence as part of the UK and a much larger market, the EU.
    The efficient NZ farmers would make a bundle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012 edited

That might be a better bet, but it still seems very unlikely. It's more of interest to the Ozzies than the Kiwis, apparently. Last time I was there I noted that Kiwis talking about Oz sound a lot like me talking about the US.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDerrickA
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012

Posted By: AngusI have a feeling it would upset the New Zealanders as well. I am going to visit family there in the autumn so I'll check.

I've got an aunt and uncle who live in Timaru, so if you're down that way, let me know. They're both retired schoolteachers, very friendly. I should warn you that they are churchy types though, just in case you and Mrs. Angus decide to swoop into town on a Harley, dressed as full patch Hell's Angels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012

Posted By: DerrickAdressed as full patch Hell's Angels.

That would be a fatal mistake around here, as you know.

Thanks for the offer. I imagine we'll have a full schedule, but I'll keep it in mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012

Posted By: TrimEven Canada can invent things now amazing.

Breakthrough leads to record efficiency for next-generation solar cells

That's young Ted Sargent. Brilliant at the press release side of physics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2012

• CommentAuthorjoshs

That is one of the dumbest ideas I have seen in some time.
    April fools day again?

Their new device, called the Spin Cell, does away with the traditional flat panel and instead places the solar cells on a cone shaped frame which are then covered with energy concentrators. Once in operation, the whole works spins, making unnecessary the need for tracking hardware and software. What's more, they actually look nice.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: bloodymediaApril fools day again?

Their new device, called the Spin Cell, does away with the traditional flat panel and instead places the solar cells on a cone shaped frame which are then covered with energy concentrators. Once in operation, the whole works spins, making unnecessary the need for tracking hardware and software. What's more, they actually look nice.
    One might think. This concept makes Solyndra's business model look ingenious.

Their plan: Build a poor quality concentrator, kill the utilization of the collector material, introduce all kinds of complications to the efficiency, and wrap it in a complex mechanical package. Don't forget the slip rings!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Gotta go change the brushes on the solar cells...

Just doesn't have that futuristic ring to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012

N

Shame about this, if Quenco can't be made to work I had hopes of this energy turning air and sea water into cheap carbon neutral fuel, do away with the long power cables.

Sahara solar plan loses its shine
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012

Posted By: TrimN

Shame about this, if Quenco can't be made to work I had hopes of this energy turning air and sea water into cheap carbon neutral fuel, do away with the long power cables.

Sahara solar plan loses its shine
    Trim, the troubles that the project has right now is the reliance on concentrator technology. The falling cost of PV material has been devastating to all concentrator plays. Flat panel PV is killing all other solar technologies.

Please elaborate as why you now express doubt about Futilifetti within just a month of it's seventh or eighth launch date? Did you notice that in almost a year there has been no evidence of a Second Law violation?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Any 'doubts' I have about Quenco is about whether Stanford can fabricate them thin enough and flat enough.
    Posted By: TrimAny 'doubts' I have about Quenco is about whether Stanford can fabricate them thin enough and flat enough.

Ah... so if they don't "work" it will be Stanford's fault for not making them thin or flat enough. Thanks for clearing that up.

Since when does a major research university engage in the manufacturing of pixie dust, anyway?
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Posted By: TrimAny 'doubts' I have about Quenco is about whether Stanford can fabricate them thin enough and flat enough.
    True enough. In order to work, they'd have to be impossibly thin and flat, for sure.
    • CommentAuthortinker

You could always jump up and down on them.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012 edited

Oh, so when the Futilifetti doesn't work in California as it didn't work in Australia, you are going to cling to the loopy idea that PJH can or has broken the Second Law even though his own evidence keeps showing that he can't.

Tell me Trim: What is it about an energy barrier that you think makes it polarity sensitive?
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: tinkerYou could always jump up and down on them.
    Within the month there's likely to be some more jumping up and down. It won't be for joy. It will be PJH blaming yet another group for nature's refusal to comply with his desires.