Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2016

Be careful of your backdoor, entry is always possible by strangers.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2016

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2016

- What's the capital city of Britain?
    "Maybe London. Maybe not. But not both. Maybe"
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Colchester.
    • CommentAuthortinker

Romford.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2016

NBF

3-D wiring technique is progress to scalable quantum computers.

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/10/3-d-wiring-technique-is-progress-to.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Good practical stuff. Hooray for Mike Lazaridis for creating the IQC. Blackberry profits at work.

It reminds me of the nitty gritty issues we faced around inventing a practical connector for SM optical fibres, and then getting it standardised.
    If that was you, well done. I did some work on FDDI with National and learned to splice fibre. It's tricky stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Splicing is another matter than connectors, of course. I assume you were using a splicing jig with built in microscope and automated alignment and a plasma torch to do the weld automatically.

Back in the day we used a propane torch and did it by hand. Now THAT was tricky.

My good buddy Brian who invented the fibre taper coupler used to TAPER fibres by hand like that.
    Way beyond what I learned on that course. That was cutting and hooking up a connector.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Oh right. Clean off the fibre, glue it in the mandrel, polish the end. You're right - it's tricky.

When you think of the mechanical challenge, it's pretty amazing. The fibre cores are 9 micron diameter. If you want a low reflection, high transmission joint you have to align them to better than a micron. All that by some method that a guy can use up a pole in a rainstorm.

I was skeptical we would ever find a way. The key was to be able to mass produce those ceramic mandrels with the holes aligned to the outside to that tolerance.
    To be honest it went in one ear and out the other. I chiefly remember the pain of being accidentally stuck by the fibre. Soldering I do still know because I started at age 9. This was age 40 and I never once used the technique outside the class anyway, since I was designing software architectures and drivers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanI chiefly remember the pain of being accidentally stuck by the fibre.

Ha! Yes.
    Try it when it's carrying ten watts. Just sizzles right in like a hot knife through icecream.
    Euw! I never was lasered at that level - never mind subcutaneously. But I do know, like any radio ham, that an RF burn is a nasty, nasty thing.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2016

Try picking up a 100W soldering iron by the wrong end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2016

With your teeth. As long as it is cold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2016 edited

Posted By: AsterixTry picking up a 100W soldering iron by the wrong end.

Ugh. We've all done it or come close enough to hurt.

Actually I'll take the little black cauterised laser sliver any time.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2016 edited

I work quite a bit with an acetylene (but not oxy-) torch on sheet metal. One thing you learn right off is that if something's going to fall, let it. Same goes for boiling hot stuff in the kitchen.

Lesson 2: Don't assume that something isn't hot if it's not glowing.