Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

My main conceptual problem with the way the Alice/Eve/Bob system is typically analysed is not that eaves no longer ubiquitously exist - let alone their droppers; nor that Bob was a cheap way to add a consecutive letter to an Alice in Wonderland character - even though he's nowhere to be found in the narrative; it's that Eve might well be shagging Bob.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2017 edited

I agree. They could at least have used the Caterpillar and the Duchess before introducing an Eve.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2017 edited

Bob bobbed Eve, which made Alice very angry, so she waited until Bob was asleep and then....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2017

Posted By: Andrew Palfreymaneaves no longer ubiquitously exist - let alone their droppers;

I am puzzle by this. Eaves are still a ubiquitous feature of buildings with roofs. The eavesdrop is the ground about the house on which the rain falls from the eaves. An eavesdropper is one who stands near a window to listen.
    Around here we call eavestroughs "gutters" and we call the ground about the house where the rain falls from the overflowing and clogged gutters, "mud".
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2017

That's funny. I thought "gutter" meant a country in the Arab gulf that is fairly deep in shit, not mud.
    There's even an ecological niche for a particular bird, called a snipe.
    It's hard to work up a good mud if all you have to start with is sand and salt water. A little shite helps bond the sandy bits together.
    Article on photonic qdits in IEEE Spectrum
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/computing/hardware/qudits-the-real-future-of-quantum-computing

Seems like a bit of a breakthrough. No ion traps, no supercooling, no superconductivity, just photons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2017

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanArticle on photonic qdits in IEEE Spectrum
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/computing/hardware/qudits-the-real-future-of-quantum-computing

Seems like a bit of a breakthrough. No ion traps, no supercooling, no superconductivity, just photons.

That is rather clever, if I understand it.
    BTW: Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique is not the Canadian National Institute for Scientific Research. It is a university within the University of Quebec system. The "National" in this case refers to the Nation of Quebec.

This gets complicated so I'll leave it there.
    And of course all submissions must be made in French.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2017

Since that is the working and sole official language there, mais naturellement.
    • CommentAuthorLakes
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2017

Linus Tech Tips get "invited" to D-Wave

Oooo, look, they just "happen" to have one open for "maintenance", so we can see the super special chip they use. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2017

Researchers Claim They Just Invented The “Ultimate” Method for Quantum Computing.

https://futurism.com/researchers-claim-they-just-invented-the-ultimate-method-for-quantum-computing/
    Not so fast. Let's see how well the error correction performs first.

The paper came out in June but I've seen no shrieks of awe from the popular press as yet.

A 100-qubit machine is purported to blow the doors off anything we currently have. So one million qubits might even have opinions. Or show us new physics. Or new engineering. Or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

Might make sex robots insatiable though.

We might get assimilated.
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew

Posted By: TrimWe might will get assimilated.
    FTFY