Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2011

Wow they are hoping to get 30% efficiency.

Thermoelectric materials: recycling energy
    Little do they realize that, with a small modification, the TKSandwich Printer (tm) can be retrofitted with a Rossi cartridge and an Aviso module, and will print out free energy on demand. Please check the PESN website for the availability of these retrofits, which should be available in an area near you, soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaryyugo

Wow they are hoping to get 30% efficiency.
    Now see, I don't understand that. If you're "hoping", why not hope for 100%? For 110%? Hope is so cheap. But it isn't very efficient. Sterling Allan is full of it... so to speak.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

30% is likely based on the hot side and cold side temperatures.

DoE has been sponsoring a program for years where an upper theoretical limit of 40% conversion efficiency seems possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011

Posted By: TrimTechnology Review

Powering Your Car with Waste Heat

But.. but... my car already runs on waste heat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011

Shame on you. You should have cycled until Orbo power came along.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: TrimTechnology Review

Powering Your Car with Waste Heat
    3% improvement in gas mileage is not much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

I thought you were expecting up to 40%.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: TrimI thought you were expecting up to 40%.
    Right number, wrong usage. The DoE is working on thermoelectric conversion with a road map that can theoretically reach 40% thermal to electric conversion efficiency. If achieved, that would enable serial hybrids with much better mileage improvements than 40%. It would be more like 100% over a straight gasoline ICE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

True.

And if it used a flameless combustion system to very efficiently provide the heat with the only waste products being co2 and h2o that would cut out smog. If the propane or methane fuel came from a bio source than it would be virtually pollution free (assuming bio products are actually good guys).
    I wish I got 40% mileage.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

40% would mean that some 48MJ or 13.3kWh of electrical energy would be extracted from a gallon of unleaded gasoline. At steady cruise that would mean better than 50 mpg for most passenger cars. If 40% thermal to electric can be realized with ICE or Diesel exhaust heat, then we are talking more like 75 mpg without going to special hard rubber tires, or an Aptera type egg with wheels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2011

• CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011

Posted By: TrimPhysorg

Prototype demonstrates success of advanced new energy technology
    Physorg needs new editors. These pieces routinely are long on hype and very short on substance.
    • CommentAuthorsonoboy

I thought that if an engine became more efficient, it would run colder and therefor produce less waste heat. The most efficient would have an exhaust temp at ambient. Wouldn't it be better then to make the engine itself more efficient ?
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: sonoboyI thought that if an engine became more efficient, it would run colder and therefor produce less waste heat. The most efficient would have an exhaust temp at ambient. Wouldn't it be better then to make the engine itself more efficient ?
    A perfectly efficient thermal engine would exhaust at absolute zero.
    • CommentAuthorsonoboy

Well hell, I'll be happy if mine just pumps out exhaust at 30 below :)