Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2011 edited

Science Daily

Maybe roads could have some of this metamaterial if it can be made cheaply enough, so electric cars will only need very small batteries.

Novel Artificial Material Could Facilitate things
    • CommentAuthorjoshs
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2011

It's a lot of verbage for what appears to be an antenna.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: joshsIt's a lot of verbage for what appears to be an antenna.

I think it's intended to be a distributed impedance-matching structure like the cones on the wall of an anechoic chamber.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: Angus

I think it's intended to be a distributed impedance-matching structure like the cones on the wall of an anechoic chamber.
    I disagree. The idea of impedance match is to completely absorb incident radiation. This device as described is more like a Fresnel lens intended to reshape a radiation pattern with low loss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2014

NW

'Superlens' extends range of wireless power transfer.

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology_news/newsid=33939.php
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: joshs
    Posted By: Angus

I disagree. The idea of impedance match is to completely absorb incident radiation. This device as described is more like a Fresnel lens intended to reshape a radiation pattern with low loss.

I missed that. Impedance matching reduces reflection. If the thing you're matching to transmits, then you have improved transmission. This is exactly how an optical matching layer works, and you can make a broadband optical antireflection coating with a single layer of graded index rather than multiple layer interference coatings
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Hmm, two year old thread.

We agree that an impedance match reduces reflection. A perfect match results in zero reflection. As to what this thing is they say:

"However, the metamaterial postulated by the Duke researchers, which would be situated between the energy source and the "recipient" device, greatly refocuses the energy transmitted and permits the energy to traverse the open space between with minimal loss of power."

"On the other hand, the superlens, which is in fact a metamaterial, directs waves within the bulk of the lens between the outside surfaces, giving researchers a much greater control over whatever passes through it."

My read is that they want a good impedance match, but for purposes of continued transmission while also concentrating into a tighter beam. Cones in an anechoic chamber are designed to absorb incident energy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Since it hasn't dominated the stock market during the last two years I guess it doesn't matter.
    • CommentAuthorjoshs

Posted By: AngusSince it hasn't dominated the stock market during the last two years I guess it doesn't matter.
    I don't know what brought this thread back to life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

You have to watch out these days. Even in daylight you may encounter the Walking Thread. Revenant threads have been seen all through the city. It is all too easy to be infected and yourself become one of the UNTHREAD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2014

NW

Inspired by bones and bamboo, researchers create tougher metal materials.

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news/newsid=36361.php
    They still haven't grokked fractal

Oh, and this has fuckall to do with wireless power, chief
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Posted By: Andrew PalfreymanThey still haven't grokked fractal

Oh, and this has fuckall to do with wireless power, chief

Complaining about thread drift is unmoletrappian.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim

@Andrew

FTFY
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2014

•  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2014

NW

Nanotechnology researchers improve mechanical properties of ceramics.

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news/newsid=37179.php
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2014

NW

Nanocrystalline 'high-entropy' alloy is as light as aluminum, as strong as titanium alloys.

http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news/newsid=38419.php
    “One thing we’ll be looking at is whether scandium can be replaced or eliminated from the alloy,” Koch says.

Makes you wonder why he put it in there in the first place.
    The article isn't going to help
    •  
      CommentAuthorTrim
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2014

It works with scandium. Just one asteroid find away and it would be in every day use instead of just military.