Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011

Posted By: legendre
    Posted By: RunningBareI've not had a home made salad sandwich for several summers, chicken, lettuce, cheese, cucumber and salad cream, boy did I just enjoy that, it's the simple things in life.

Speaking of salad, that e.coli outbreak in Europe is kind of freaky. I know that I'd be avoiding pretty much all fresh produce right now, if I lived on the other side of the pond.

Very silly. If it was the fresh produce that was the cause, then it would be all over the continent, as it is it's mostly traceable to Germany.
    •  
      CommentAuthorping1400
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011 edited

German officials admitted it is not the fresh vegetables.
    Meanwhile the Dutch and Spanish agriculture industry has been devastated. It is the middle of the fresh salad season.
    Losses are estimated to be 50 million Euro per week (for just the cucumber farmers in The Netherlands).

Ground zero is Hamburg. There is something wrong there, not in some foreign vegetables. But it's always easier to point to outside reasons, then own wrongdoing. Something is stinking, literally, in Northern Germany.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVylasni
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011

Are they all licking door handles or something???
    • CommentAuthortinker
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011 edited

The problem almost certainly (or did) come from a food-processing/packing plant serving the German market. There have been almost no cases reported outside Germany - and most if not all the handful of people afflicted in the UK had just returned from there.

Spanish fruit and veg go everywhere across Europe- so if it was down to the Spanish farmers the disease would be more widespread.

Nasty beggar though, especially in children where breakdown of the red blood cells (haemolysis) is a more common complication. All that junk in the bloodstream destroys the kidneys and then it's 'good night nurse'. Add to that antibiotic resistance and the apparently highly contagious nature of the bug....

This is one kind of Hitler's revenge you really don't want.
    Posted By: legendreSpeaking of salad, that e.coli outbreak in Europe is kind of freaky. I know that I'd be avoiding pretty much all fresh produce right now, if I lived on the other side of the pond.

Last I read, in addition to a couple dozen deaths, something like 400-500 people had suffered renal failure as a result of infection?! Germany just reported 199 new cases in just two days.. crazy..
    Too much info, damn near put me off my next salad sandwich.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/02/e-coli-strain-previously-unseen

It seems a nasty piece of work, (relatively) high death rate, and "likely" antibiotic resistant.

Here in Stockholm we get almost all our salad produce from Holland, but I'm washing all my fresh produce with extra care just to be on the safe side.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrowler

I get all my salad produce from my garden.......no outbreaks of renal failure here as far as I can tell...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

Posted By: GrowlerI get all my salad produce from my garden.......no outbreaks of renal failure here as far as I can tell...

Nice, unfortunately I live in a second floor apartment, so a couple of tomato plants on the balcony is all I can manage!!!

(What do you do in the winter though?)
    Put on a long-sleeved shirt?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrowler

Winter diet tends to be more soup based, since we also grow loads of root veg such as carrot, parsnip, potato, onion etc, alongside cabbages, sprouts etc. Beans, chillies and courgettes (zucchini) all freeze well, as does some fruit. Other fruits get preserved - plums, cherries, apples. We also have a small flock of chickens, so no shortage of eggs, and any male chicks that arrive are given six months 'preparation'.....

....I wanted to get two Mangalitzas this year, but SWMBO put her foot down.

In all seriousness, If I could find/barter a local source of oil/fat and flour of some description, I could be tempted to try a year of complete self-sufficiency. (We also have a working well on the property). Don't know how I'd get on without yeast and/or baking soda for bread though.
    • CommentAuthortinker

Sourdough Bread. Works in California.
    Had a sausage and marmalade sandwich for breakfast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

I would love to have enough land to provide for the family... It sounds idyllic !!!!!

And I have just had the "other" half of yesterday's pizza for brunch, and am shortly taking Loonyman Jr. And Loonymiss to a 3 year olds birthday party, so no doubt I will not be having my 5 fresh fruit and veg. today!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

Posted By: alsetalokinPut on a long-sleeved shirt?

:-p
    • CommentAuthortinker

Lunch today is a Saturday indulgence. A smoked back bacon, black pudding and fried egg sandwich. With a helping of the obligatory HP sauce. No fruit will be harmed while making this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011 edited

Posted By: LoonymanI would love to have enough land to provide for the family... It sounds idyllic !!!!!

The thought of being able to live a self-sufficient life seems to be a dream for a lot of people. Not for me though - I originally came from a rural part of this country. A self-sufficient life sounds to me like a never-ending nightmare of repetitive toil, effort, dirty smelly manual labour, and tedious chores in return for which you barely manage to get by. Of course I also fully realise that it is a case of "horses for courses", and that a lot of people who are successfully managing to happily live such lives might use a similar description when talking about my life, or about the life of a salaried employee, which they might consider to be some form of indentured slavery.

Since the 1970s, a lot of urban folks have been trying to set up self-sufficient lives for themselves in the part of this country where I come from. In my experience, the vast majority of them tend to underestimate the sheer amount of work involved, and the marginal nature of such an existence, and so they fail. Sometimes "getting back to nature" means being both literally and metaphorically knee deep in the shit! I would estimate that fewer than 10% have succeeded. But then again, that is probably the same success rate for any small business startup.

Some people just want to "escape to the country." I just wanted to escape from it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

I hold no illusions regarding total "self-sufficiency", I'm sure that would be way too much like hard work, but I am sure that given a reasonable sized plot of land at the back of my dwelling I could reduce my food bill considerably.

The Wife's family all live in the north of Sweden, and manage to combine 1st world living standards with a ready supply of "poor man's" products, such as a freezer full of Moose and Salmon, home grown root veg down in the cellar, huge amounts of every berry and mushroom found north of Stockholm, preserved in all sorts of interesting ways, and cuts of deer dried out in a north facing cupboard in the early spring. All bloody delicious!!

The extent of my "Living on the land" at the moment consists of picking berries and mushrooms in the autumn, and I have just bottled a gallon of elderberry wine, which should be perfect for drinking by Christmas!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2011

@Loony

Seen 'Good Neighbors', I take it?

Felicity Kendall was sooo cute back then, still is a nice looking woman.

Sweetly pretty.. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVylasni

BBQ season inauguration tonight. Nice steaks, Montreal Steak Spice, Garlic Powder, some BBQ sauce (garlic flavored), grilled to perfection with a side of Zucchinis in Bruschetta spices perfectly steamed, yummy! :)
    • CommentAuthorscience

Posted By: VylasniBBQ season inauguration tonight. Nice steaks, Montreal Steak Spice, Garlic Powder, some BBQ sauce (garlic flavored), grilled to perfection with a side of Zucchinis in Bruschetta spices perfectly steamed, yummy! :)

Mmmm sounds good. My recent favourite vegetable has been asparagus covered in oil and lemon/lime juice + fresh cracked pepper.

I like food so much I eat it multiple times a day