Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlegendre
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2011

It happens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: LoonymanI hold no illusions regarding total "self-sufficiency", I'm sure that would be way too much like hard work, but I am sure that given a reasonable sized plot of land at the back of my dwelling I could reduce my food bill considerably.

The Wife's family all live in the north of Sweden, and manage to combine 1st world living standards with a ready supply of "poor man's" products, such as a freezer full of Moose and Salmon, home grown root veg down in the cellar, huge amounts of every berry and mushroom found north of Stockholm, preserved in all sorts of interesting ways, and cuts of deer dried out in a north facing cupboard in the early spring. All bloody delicious!!

The extent of my "Living on the land" at the moment consists of picking berries and mushrooms in the autumn, and I have just bottled a gallon of elderberry wine, which should be perfect for drinking by Christmas!

Yes, the "pick 'n mix" approach does appeal to me also. I can definitely see the appeal of being able to choose whatever you deem to be the best of both worlds. It is the "100% self-sufficient" option that seems unattractive to me.

Good luck with the elderberry wine! I still purchase an occasional bottle of one of my favourite types of ROBOT from a farmer I know back home. It is called "poitin". It is unaged home distilled whisky with an ABV of 93%. I have tasted some truly awful poitin in my time. In fact most Irish people have, and as a result they don't touch the stuff. But this guy makes a really smooth version. It must be the specific type of malting barley that he uses. It is really easy to drink, with a lovely sweet flavour, and there is no way you would guess that it's ABV is so high when you taste it first. Of course after you have had a glass or three you fully appreciate that particular aspect of it!

I occasionally serve a glass of it to visitors as a mystery drink. I usually stock a decent variety of unusual and strong varieties of firewater from all over the world, so visitors usually expect a glass of something strong and unusual. They nearly always react with shocked disbelief when I tell them that the drink that they have just been enjoying and praising is in fact poitin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGrowler

Posted By: scienceReminds me of a baby Shooter Sandwhich:http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gallery/2010/apr/07/how-to-make-shooters-sandwich

I've made a couple of them, and they are amazing.

I couldn't resist the challenge! My fist attempt is in the 'press' now - looking forward to dinner this evening. Duck & Chicken variety (two breasts of each, sauteed with herbs, and lemon grass, with an onion, bacon, mushroom and tomato 'sauce', inside a homemade sundried tomato and parmesan cottage loaf baked specially for the occasion.

Pics to follow (assuming it looks as good as it smells once it's ready!)
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2011 edited

Posted By: Growler
    Posted By: scienceReminds me of a baby Shooter Sandwhich:http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gallery/2010/apr/07/how-to-make-shooters-sandwich

I've made a couple of them, and they are amazing.

I couldn't resist the challenge! My fist attempt is in the 'press' now - looking forward to dinner this evening. Duck & Chicken variety (two breasts of each, sauteed with herbs, and lemon grass, with an onion, bacon, mushroom and tomato 'sauce', inside a homemade sundried tomato and parmesan cottage loaf baked specially for the occasion.

Just looking at the pictures was quite enough for me. Now I won't be able to eat anything for days......

(If you don't stop, I'm going to post some photos of people eating caldo de cabeza, and tripa and menudo tacos.....)
    • CommentAuthorscience

Posted By: Growler

I salute you!

I do mine in a large loaf of sourdough. I hollow out the inside and then start the center mix. I dice up the onion, some large, fresh olives, and pickled jalapenos. I also dice up some mushroom and a bit of green onion. I sautee all this in some garlic butter and add a bit of Worcestershire sauce and sriracha and some fresh cracked pepper.

I then either BBQ or grill the steak to right before medium rare and chuck the first one in. I like to use nice big sirloin or rib-eye cuts in order to fit snugly inside of the loaf. I do Dijon on the inside of the lid.

I use two 25-lb dumbbells on a cutting board as the press. I don't use string, but I might next time. My previous shooter had a problem with too much moisture and that resulted in a breach of the containment vessel.

I shoot for perfection in the cross section of the sandwich. Cutting into it with a large bread knife for that first piece is magical.

I'm hungry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

I'm hungry.

I'm cooking pizza - made from scratch to mamma's recepie! (ok, I just made that up - not the made from scratch bit). One tuna, anchovie, olive & caper (maybe some king prawns), One italian salami type stuff, parma ham and olives and one spinach and mushroom for the veggie. Served with a green salad from the greenhouse with a honey, mustard and balsamic dressing. No puds, just straight onto the espresso from Nicaragua Limoncillo beans roasted yesterday just into second crack (darkish).
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin

All right, that did it. I warned you...

•  
      CommentAuthorGrowler

As promised......

The finished article

and also.....@science....I too suffered a containment breach - next time I'll remove excess liquid from the paste before assembly. Didn't affect the flavour though!

@al - If you're used to eating offal those dishes above don't look bad at all. Tripe however, is one of the two foods I'd avoid if at all possible, although a well cooked andouilette sausage is just magnificent. No problems with the sheep's cheeks though.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman

[/URL]

Todays lunch! :-)
    • CommentAuthorscience

@al: No offense, but that third dish looks offal
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Pizza ... mmmm.

Note to self - use a better bloody camera.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRunningBare

Posted By: Loonyman

Todays lunch! :-)
    Oh man, pineapple rings on ham, I know what tomorrows snack is going to be.
    • CommentAuthorscience

Nice 'zas brah. Homemade dough is key. I like to do mine super thin and crunchy. Using a pizza stone helps for this (and in general)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: scienceNice 'zas brah. Homemade dough is key. I like to do mine super thin and crunchy. Using a pizza stone helps for this (and in general)

I'll be brave - what's a pizza stone?

Dough I almost understand now, it's something that can't be hurried and the more time you give it to prove, the better it gets (within reason!).
    • CommentAuthorscience

A pizza stone is usually a round disc of clay or ceramic. Nice and thick so temperature spreads evenly. Porous too, so you get crusts that are crispier because the stone will absorb some of the moisture.

I like experimenting with dough. A bit of honey and some pepper and oregano is my current favourite formulation. I like whole wheat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlegendre
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011

Whoa! Works of beauty, folks!

Those pizzas look fabulous, as does Growler's ducken shooter.. and Al, I don't know who's supposed to turn up their nose at the tripa and lengua, but it's not gonna be me. Never stick up your nose at a tongue, I always say.. might just be the best cut on the animal.

And nothing says "I Love You" like a steak the size of a toilet seat, Loony.
    Just for fun...

I tried this on the middle pizza too, but it looked so good I ate the image file.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011 edited

I don't find enough time or energy during the week for food, so it's simple stuff like this pasta and pesto salad which, excluding the time in the greenhouse cutting the various lettuce and rocket varieties, is the work of 10 mins. Needs a good salad dressing (don't they all - the brown gunge is balasmic, mustard, honey, good olive oil, garlic + a little seasoning - takes a minute to whip up) and a something to give it a lift (a little chopped chilli & a few grapes does the job) otherwise it's in danger of being a little bland.

Always have time for decent coffee. Roasted on Sunday, this Nicaraguan Limoncillo taken just into second crack is perfect.

•  
      CommentAuthorLoonyman
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011

Damn !!! I shouldn't have come here just befor bedtime... Now I need to eat!!!
    • CommentAuthorscience
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011

Doesn't look bland to me