Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Posted By: DuracellMmmm ...

Freshly baked scones with generous amounts of proper golden Irish butter and proper Manuka honey.

Mmmm ...
    Kerrygold butter? That's what we eat in my household. Have to turn to our Irish friends for some proper grass-fed butter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2018

@duracell
    How do you source your manuka?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: duncan torus
    Posted By: DuracellMmmm ...

Freshly baked scones with generous amounts of proper golden Irish butter and proper Manuka honey.

Mmmm ...
    Kerrygold butter? That's what we eat in my household. Have to turn to our Irish friends for some proper grass-fed butter.
    Yep, grass-fed cows is the key.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell

Posted By: Angus@duracell
    How do you source your manuka?

These days:

Posted By: DuracellKilcree Gold Manuka MGO 100
    € 7.99 for a 220g jar (€36.32 per kg)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

!!
    That's a really good price! On direct order from Nelson Honey you'll be paying NZD 19.50 for 250g. I don't remember the price we pay in the shops here - while supplies last at Costco, but it's similar.

MGO-100 seems to be the widely agreed standard for eatin' - honey.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2018

Yes, crystallisation is often a problem though. So, I do often have to gently heat the jars in a saucepan of warm water first to decrystallise the honey. Is there any lazier, but still equally effective, alternative method? I seem to recall reading somewhere that microwaving the honey for 30 seconds, and then for another 20 seconds after a brief pause, achieves an equally acceptable end result, but I have yet to try that out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2018 edited

I've never run into crystallised manuka. I've no magic to offer.

Just ordered another 2 kg from Nelson. It's a bit more expensive than the COSTCO stuff because of shipping but I like to keep some "known genuine" stuff around as a check.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2018

•  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2018

Picked 1.3kg of shade-ripened, premier cru Himalayan blackberries in half an hour from wild bushes within half a km of the house. Must be worth at least three bucks (with the punnet) at the local market. Supply and demand is such a bummer...!
    • CommentAuthorAsterix

Hmmm, here, they're classified as a noxious weed--we can about a gallon of the things, pick some for muching and pies, then spray the dickens out of them in October with glyphosate. Only slows them down a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Here too but people are more concerned about Scotch broom which they have futile campaigns about from time to time.

I like the berries and I like the look of Scotch broom. And anyway I do my best to avoid (any more) lost causes such as trying to eradicate a superior competitor.

Has Giant Hogweed turned up there yet?
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2018 edited

Not yet, as far as I know.

I've figured out how to deal with Scotch Broom. Wait until it starts blooming in the spring and hit it with foliar spray of 2,4-D, triclopyr and glyphosate with a spreader-sticker. The blossoms wither within a couple of days and the whole plant is dried out within a week. I used to pull it, but that got to be interesting when poison oak started infesting the same area. Now I'm using chemical warfare on everything.

I really like wild strawberries; the flavor is intense, but you have to find them before the critters do--you're lucky if you can find a handful of ripe ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Yes - used to get those in Ontario more than here. A completely different experience from what my neighbour calls "California turnips".
    •  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2018 edited

Pretty multicultural dish: Greece, Italy, Balkan, USA, Germany, Argentina, Brazil. And everyone else, which is probably all of us. There is even some nuance of Hitler fart, condensed, in it. So even the AltRight Neo-Nazis should be happy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2018

Onions. Therefore good.
    I'd eat that.
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2018

Looks very appetizing. That's more than I eat in a day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2018 edited

•  
      CommentAuthoraber0der
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2018

McDonalds is worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2018