Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDuracell
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2019

Posted By: alsetalokinI'm a convert. I just have one question: How the heck do you pronounce "Sous Vide"?

I mean in a way that doesn't get you laughed at in Texas.
    Sioux Feed ...
    • CommentAuthorloreman

Lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorAngus

Good!
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2019 edited

Posted By: goatcheezCooking can behazardous to your health.

Ah, another bit of scientific wisdom, courtesy of the The Sun.
    Sucks food?
    • CommentAuthorkorkskrew
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2019

Just pronounce it like you're calling the pigs for feeding. Soooooooveeee!
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2019 edited

Tonight's menu:

SV pot roast: cut up some red potatoes, some carrots. Saute cubes of cheap beef with onions to brown. Put it all in a plastic bag in the crockpot. Top off with seasoning mix. Seal up, set PID for 184.5 degrees F, wait seven hours. Decant and Eat!

Housemate went back for seconds. Best compliment possible.

(the meat came out so tender, teeth are hardly necessary)
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2019

Well, you could be eating elk.
    I'm not sure I'd like the taste.

But I think Donny Junior has a comeuppance coming up shortly. I'll like the taste of that.
    Seriously, that pot roast/stew was seriously tasty, and nourishing too. I just need to remember to use really lean meat, because nothing is wasted in this cooking technique. Everything that is in the ingredients gets eaten. I do miss the odors of cooking food sometimes though. It is a little strange to go into a clean fresh kitchen and emerge three minutes later with a fully cooked, aromatic meal just removed from the SV apparatus which has been sitting in a corner all day quietly blinking its little lights and flashing numbers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez

If you have time, you can still use fatty meat. Just pour off the drippings, stick them in the freezer until the fat congeals on top and reheat without the fat.
    Posted By: goatcheezWell, you could be eatingelk.
    Accidents will happen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: alsetalokinSeriously, that pot roast/stew was seriously tasty, and nourishing too. I just need to remember to use really lean meat, because nothing is wasted in this cooking technique. Everything that is in the ingredients gets eaten. I do miss the odors of cooking food sometimes though. It is a little strange to go into a clean fresh kitchen and emerge three minutes later with a fully cooked, aromatic meal just removed from the SV apparatus which has been sitting in a corner all day quietly blinking its little lights and flashing numbers.

Pic!

My few SV experiments have been single meats or fresh veg rather than stews, mostly with some high temp element to brown/sear before/after the bath. My SV bath is just a slow cooker plugged into a PID/SSR. The slow cooker (crock pot) get's used to make stews etc, just on it's own thermostat. I'd not considered making complete dishes in bags, other than perhaps reheating stuff.
    "Complete dishes" and "bags" are traditionally antonyms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpcstru

Posted By: Andrew Palfreyman"Complete dishes" and "bags" are traditionally antonyms.

And to think The google gave no hint. I'll have someone write and complain.
    •  
      CommentAuthoralsetalokin
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2019 edited

Posted By: pcstru
    Posted By: alsetalokinSeriously, that pot roast/stew was seriously tasty, and nourishing too. I just need to remember to use really lean meat, because nothing is wasted in this cooking technique. Everything that is in the ingredients gets eaten. I do miss the odors of cooking food sometimes though. It is a little strange to go into a clean fresh kitchen and emerge three minutes later with a fully cooked, aromatic meal just removed from the SV apparatus which has been sitting in a corner all day quietly blinking its little lights and flashing numbers.

Pic!

My few SV experiments have been single meats or fresh veg rather than stews, mostly with some high temp element to brown/sear before/after the bath. My SV bath is just a slow cooker plugged into a PID/SSR. The slow cooker (crock pot) get's used to make stews etc, just on it's own thermostat. I'd not considered making complete dishes in bags, other than perhaps reheating stuff.

Sorry, it's all eaten! Next week I'll make a video. My SV is the same: A basic crockpot, small, only 1 liter capacity, with a basic 'Hi Lo Off" switch which I keep set to Hi, and it is plugged to the mains thru the SSR which is controlled by the PID controller.

For this "crock roast" I just lined the whole crock with a slide-lock plastic bag. Then I cut up three medium red potatoes and put them in the bottom of the bag. 3 organic carrots, ditto. As I said before I browned the meat, about half a kilo, with a cut up onion in a little olive oil and butter. Into the crock on top of the veggies. I used a store-bought "potroast" liquid seasoning pack, about 100 ml, dumped on top of the material in the pot. Sealed the bag with the PID thermocouple stuck down into the center of the bag. This filled the pot completely. My pot is also covered around with some thermal barrier material left over from another project (Rossi, heh!) I set the temperature and the controller seems to have tracked it fairly well, within a degree or so once it got up to 185F. (85 C) After about 3 hours at temp, I opened it up and stirred it up. Back to sealed up and cooked for another 4 hours or so.
    I didn't use any added liquid except for what was in the seasoning packet. Neither did I use any water outside the bag, since it filled the crock nicely.

It's a complete dish, in a bag.

Forgot to mention we seem to have gotten six good servings from the bag. Two dinners, a midnight snack, two lunches and a breakfast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoatcheez
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2019

Imagine what Monty Python could do with this:

Last September, Swiss cheesemaker Beat Wampfler and a team of researchers from the Bern University of Arts placed nine 22-pound wheels of Emmental cheese in individual wooden crates in Wampfler’s cheese cellar. Then, for the next six months each cheese was exposed to an endless, 24-hour loop of one song using a mini-transducer, which directed the soundwaves directly into the cheese wheels.

The “classical” cheese mellowed to the sounds of Mozart’s The Magic Flute. The “rock” cheese listened to Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven.” An ambient cheese listened to Yello’s “Monolith,” the hip-hop cheese was exposed to A Tribe Called Quest’s “Jazz (We’ve Got)” and the techno fromage raved to Vril’s “UV.” A control cheese aged in silence, while three other wheels were exposed to simple high, medium and low frequency tones.

According to a press release, the cheese was then examined by food technologists from the ZHAW Food Perception Research Group, which concluded that the cheese exposed to music had a milder flavor compared to the non-musical cheese. They also found that the hip-hop cheese had a stronger aroma and stronger flavor than other samples.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/hip-hop-and-mozart-improve-flavor-swiss-cheese-180971721/
    • CommentAuthorAsterix
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2019

"Food Perception Research Group" is worth a Python sketch on its own.
    Hilarious!

But what of the happy microbes?
    Oh god. Was the panel blinded at all? That is, did they know which sounds went with which cheese samples before tasting and evaluating?

I have classical music playing in the kitchen 24-7. Have had for many many years in every place I've lived that had a kitchen. Therefore my cheese tastes best.